! SHOVE IT ! : nibbana vs Super Turbo's - VIDEO GAME SHIT ITT

• nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      nibbana vs SNGs
      So I've been playing SNG's on stars since December following a 3 year hiatus from Poker and feel it's time to write about my experience and have a platform to set myself some realistic targets and discuss some of my play.

About Me
      I'm 26 years old, I work as a delivery driver in a small town in Derbyshire, England. I am soon to be happily married to my childhood sweetheart and have a beautiful 18 month old daughter. When I'm not looking after said daughter I am playing bass in a jazz fusion trio, watching sports and playing poker.

About Me vs Poker
      Man it's been a long journey. I started playing when I was 15 years old in a regular Friday night home game. Rum, a pile of 2p's and some good banter. I first played online when I was 20 in 2003 and quickly became addicted to SNG's like the true Degen I am. Frankly I was a poor player but had a good feel for the game and where I was at in a lot of spots. I took down a few MTTs too, the best being a 500 runner $10 and 9th place in a $100 with 150 runners. I had no BRM and no discipline when it came to drinking and the rest you can figure out. This was the time I had my first break from poker. I returned staked by my friends belief in me (and his PKR account!!) in 2007. I ran $100 into $3000 playing MTT's and cash games over a couple of months but the inevitable happened again, I cashed out from PKR and went bust on Mansion with what I didn't spend on gadgets.

The moral of the story, don't drink and play poker (dumbass). So 2 1/2 years on and I have a family, I quit drinking (2 years and counting) and am back to where I started in the first place grinding SNG's. The game has changed a lot since I was playing, you used to be able to play one hand per tourney and make the money ! The greatest thing is that my life is enriched by so many other things that I'm just happy to have a hobby like poker which I enjoy.

So that's the boring stuff out of the way. My stats, graphs and targets will follow...
  • 745 replies
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze

The first 600 are $1.20 Normal ROI 6%
      The next 350 are $3.40 Turbo ROI 9%
      The last 100ish are $6.50 Turbo ROI 30%+

So yes, I took shots and got extremely lucky. In fact I run so good it's sick :P
      I donked off plenty in MTT's and cleared a $100 of bonus and stellar rewards so the overall result is

Bankroll: $429
      VIP Level: SilverStar

My set up at the moment is $6.50's 4 at a time with HEM. My BRM is to drop back to $3.40's if I drop to $340 and to take shots at $16's if I hit $1000.

My goals for the month are

:spade: Keep reading, learning and discussing (much more)
      :spade: Attend more coachings (currently 1/week)
      :spade: Maintain SilverStar status
      :spade: Play 500 tournaments for the month
      :spade: Keep peppering PokerStars with emails asking them to retrack my account to PokerStrategy !

P.S. I read an article on 2p2 or somewhere about "paying" yourself 2.5% ROI regardless of results. ie if I play 100 $6.50's, whether I win or lose I withdraw $16.25. Discuss...
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey there nibbana,

Its looking like a great start to the blog mate.

Good work so far and i'll be popping back on a regular basis to see how you're getting on.

All the best,
      -Steve
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Found a couple more graphs for those of you who are that way inclined...

Firstly - I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS ! If I'd never played a tournament on a Monday I'd be $80 better off !

secondly my insane good fortune at the $6.50's in graph form

and thirdly why the name of this blog isn't vs MTTs

The big up and down is winning a satellite to the Sunday Million - then failing to make the money
    • Phildini
      Phildini
      Bronze
      Hey up,

Very nice stats, I'm currently tryin to grind my bankroll up. How much did u have when u took shots at $6?

I'm currently playin $2 turbos on fulltilt, currently on $190 from startin with $75 - however this is only my latest plot to dominate the poker world, sadly the others ended in either withdrawin the money to feed the family or goin bust (generally while drunk)

Will be keepin an eye on ur blog as I'm also from a small village in derbyshire (near heanor)
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Ey up, thanks for dropping in Phildini. I don't know Heanor, I'm the other side of the Peak District from you.

I took shots at $3.40 tournaments when I had $115, there's a bit of a conversation about it HERE

I took shots at the $6.50 tournaments at $300 BR.

I think both of these step ups couldve hurt me a fair bit had I started on a downswing but I'd set myself limits so if I dropped below $70 playing the $3.40's or dropped below $225 playing the $6.50's then I would drop back down a level.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 6.5 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (7 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t2055)
      UTG (t1755)
      MP1 (t1945)
      MP2 (t1740)
      CO (t910)
      Button (t1920)
      SB (t3175) VPIP:19 PFR:11

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, A
      [color:#666666]5 folds[/color], [color:#CC3333]SB bets t250[/color], Hero calls t150

Flop: (t500) Q, 8, 9 [color:#009B00](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]SB bets t300[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to t600[/color], SB calls t300

Turn: (t1700) 3 [color:#009B00](2 players)[/color]
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: (t1700) 3 [color:#009B00](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]SB bets t2325 (All-In)[/color], [color:#666666]Hero folds[/color]

Total pot: t1700

I know how badly I played this hand, I should've shoved raised preflop, raised more on the flop or shoved the turn. I would've taken it down this way but thought I was being clever ! I was so sure of this reg's cards that I nearly called the river but at the very last second I started thinking ATo and AJo could be in his range of hands played out like this. This hand kills me because I knew my man so well but didn't have the courage of my convictions, as it turns out he had the exact cards I put him on... can you guess what they were ?

Anyway a little BR update as this play is from a set of 9 played last night for a loss of ($20)

So my February End Bankroll: $409
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      So I played my first full day as a blogger, it was nasty but became so nice. As the blog's name says - I don't like Monday's, it's a battle for me every week to convince myself that it's a normal day that I should play like any other... Can you have Tilt on one day of the week and be fine the rest ? I dunno but it started as per usual, this time I managed to flip it round though...

Played: 35
      ROI: 11.6% (EV: 17.3%)
      +/-$: $26.30 (EV: $39.31)
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Really couldn't find any rhythm tonight, played some horrible poker and thus went from being $10 up into not cashing 8 straight tournaments. Didn't cash in my last 3, though in one of them at one point I only had 85 chips left and got a sick run of cards AA, AK, TT, AQ etc.. and got back to 1000 chips. I was hoping so much that I'd cash cause I thought it'd make a heroic blog tale... alas I did not.

Played: 26
      ROI: -13.7% (EV: 6.2%)
      +/-$: -$23.20 (EV: $10.43)
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      I have some non-poker related gripes to get off my chest. They've been building for a while, so this seems a good place to alleviate them. I don't know why it's happening, perhaps I fill in too many online forms or something, but I must get like 5 of these calls a week.

:spade: Stop phoning me to offer me a loan, I have bad credit. Presumably that's why you phone me, so you can get me in on a 100%APR loan and screw me over for a year or 2 ? That's really cynical if you ask me...

:spade: My house is already double glazed thankyou, if it wasn't I'd give the work to a local company, not some random one that phones me while I'm eating my tea...

:spade: I haven't had a trip or fall anywhere that wasn't my fault, nor have any of my family, friends or associates. Why would I act as an agent if they had ? Do I look like I have time to do that ?

:spade: I don't have any gold, if I did I'd be wearing it and chuckling like Bobby George. Not selling it to you...

All done, feels better...
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      2nd half of the week has been obstaclefull !

Wednesday I sat and started my first set of 4 and got a call from a friend in need so had to cut the session short. Pretty gutted cos the session went 6th/3rd/2nd/1st.

Thursday I rehearse with my band and rarely play at all, though I squeezed in some reading and went through some plays with SNG wiz.

Friday my computer dies X( Hence why I haven't updated my blog for a few days

Saturday I revived my PC and realised that on my FullTilt account they offered me a $100 bonus for no deposit. I've been following richard1817's Blog on the Super Turbo's on FT and I decided to give them another crack (my first run involved going at -14%ROI over 200 games).

So since Saturday I've been hitting the Super Turbo's up, played 72 so far for a profit of $64. Need to get my HEM back up and running so I can confirm that I run like God (like 52% ROI doesn't tell me this already!).
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Been a real rollercoaster on the Super Turbo's. I'm um-ing and ah-ing about whether this should be my main game. The variance is great (as in large, not good!) but I feel that my ICM is good enough to give me a small edge. I'm reviewing all of my tournaments one by one at the end of a session and attempting to define the situations where the mistakes are coming. I seriously disagree with the default ranges of SNG wiz though so this is a time consuming process, but one which I am finding enlightening and helpful.

The thing I love about this over my PokerStars games is the serious grindablility of them. I can sit there for 2 or 3 hours straight with 4 - 8 - 10 tables and not feel taxed at all by the end of it whereas the standard Turbo's are asking a lot more questions of me. I also don't feel an ounce of tilt, even when I'm hit for 20BI's+. Add to this the rakeback, the IronMan and the fact that I'll get free StoxPoker/Cardrunners by the end of the month and I really can't see how I can stay playing on Stars.

Any thoughts would be very welcome
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      sng wiz default ranges are always shit.. so yes its time consuming to review a large set. but its what you have to do to get better.

BRM is extremely important if you are going to play these games. you should be more aggressive with it on the lower limits because of the rake. ~80-100BI for 1-3s depending on how comfortable you feel.

when you move up to 7+ you will need ~200+ at least imo.

think about what you enjoy playing the most. a game you enjoy you will want to learn and get better and the $ will follow.
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Cheers for popping in <3. I actually quite enjoy the review sessions, I like seeing some of the daft things I've done and it's helping me to recognize the marginal situations that I miss out on, where I would never think I should be pushing.

I have 100BI's for the $1.70's now but intend to stay at this level until I reach $300. So far as enjoying it, I enjoy the feel of playing these but I don't think it's going to improve me as a poker player, only improve my $/hr.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Hey,

Nice Blog, my bad day is -was- thursday, untill i got one lucky thursday, and all changed, if i show u my days graph all up baby ! lol ...so i wish u gd luck on ur next monday:) not sure how was this one for u ?!

" I can sit there for 2 or 3 hours straight with 4 - 8 - 10 tables and not feel taxed at all by the end of it ..."

this is sweet :s_love:

as u know..i'm not -yet- a gd sng grinder, but i think u have more edge in normal sng , more than the turbo,cause at 1st 20 min in nornal sng many fishes plays bad hands nd u can take advan of that !just imo..

best of luck ! i'm def following ur blog :s_cool: see yaa
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Thanks for posting aceonetheriver.

I think the best way to tell you about this monday is in graph form...

and my overall graph for the Super Turbos (EDIT: There seems to be 158 tournaments missing from my HEMdb according to sharkscope)

My FT bankroll reached $200 so I decided to try a few (53) $3.80's as the rake is less, unfortunately it didn't quite go as planned and I'm back on the $1.70's today after taking that $50 hit !

Best of luck to all, so glad to have Monday out of my system !
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Congratulations to me.

All of the stuff for my wedding came back this week, we're getting married in Kos in May. It's booked and I can't fricking wait to leave this shithole for a couple of weeks and get hitched !

Another piece of news is that I'm expecting my 2nd child in September !

I'm writing this after 59 games of play today with 16% ROI, halfway negating yesterdays cooler which all in all makes this week AWESOME.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hey there nibbana,

Congratulations to you mate :)

That's great news about your wedding mate as well as the news about the new arrival mate.

All the best for your upcoming nuptials mate.

-Steve
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      congrats!
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Very kind of you to pop in Steve and <3, cheers for your words