[NL2-NL10] NL5 QQ action/no action

• Duudalinja
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, UTG2 calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.47) 2, 9, 2 (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.47, Hero calls $0.47.

Turn: ($1.41) A (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($1.41) A (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $1.41.

opp stats: 16/6/27.5 (VPIP/PFR/WTS%)

Preflop action seemed like pocket pair, so after flop the only hand that could logically beat me was 99. He donked quick, so I was a bit worried bout his hand and that beat me off the right track. After calling I decided to check the turn, because I really didn't want to get check raised, but after he checked river I totally should have raise it, because Ax could be really in his range from that position.

So my questions:
      1. Is checking turn ok?
      2. If he bets hard (pot/overbet) on river, fold it and call if bet is less than pot?
      3. If he checks river as shown, bet ~0.90 and fold to raise?

• 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I like your turn check, it's quite common for the fish to bet pot there with air and start by checking once they hit the A. Plus, it's hard for you to get 3 streets of value anyway, and chances are you're more likely to get out more bet out of him if you act like you didn't hit the A either.

If he bets the river it's a toss up really, and it's hard to get him on his bet sizing without further reads. If anything i'd find it weird that he'd bet less than pot on the river, since it looks like he bet pot with air on that flop. I'd likely end up calling either way and making a note for the future.

As played yes, valuebet the river small enough to get called by a pair, i doubt he's tricky enough to check Ax/99 twice once you don't take the bait on the turn. 2x somewhat makes sense assuming he'd check/raise that turn, with a check/call on the river since he could be worried you have Ax, but most likely he has either nothing or some marginal pair.

Hope it helps.