[NL2-NL10] NL5 JQs pair/two pairs

• Duudalinja
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J, Q.
      MP1 calls $0.05, MP2 folds, Hero calls $0.05, 3 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.17) 9, Q, 9 (3 players)
      BB bets $0.17, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.17.

Turn: ($0.51) J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($0.51) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25.

Final Pot: $1.01.

Weak preflop play, raise or fold should be the way to go, but let it go. :)

On the flop I hit top pair with ok kicker, but BB makes really solid pot bet in unraised pot, so I have to respect it. He could have easly hit 9 there, but I decide to call this street as I'm in position and can decide what to do later. Turn card was neutral, only thing the straight could complete, but I think he should bet then. Anyway I decided just to check it, but I had to raise there. I didn't do that to avoid tricky situation where he raises me or something. River didn't improve anything and he bets small so I just call it there.
      What should I change in this hand?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Like you said, it'd just bet the turn regardless of the risk of being raised, not everybody with donk out T8/KT with a gutshot on that flop against two opponents. And if he has those hands in his range, he also has flushdraws and JT that you still crush and probably won't fold to a turn bet. Any Q also fits the bill since he has any two cards. So i'd fire out something like $0.37 for value in that spot.

As played on the river there is still value in a raise in my opinion, he won't lead/3bet hands that beat you there i don't think, so i'm no worry about us getting blown off the best hand. I'm fine with a river value-raise (our line doesn't make any sense at all, his job to figure out if he wants to bluff catch of not). Chances are weak players look you up with any top pair and possibly worse if you make it $0.75.

Hope it helps.