Bronze article: "After the Flop: No One Has Initiative"

• rhens
      rhens
      Bronze
      There is a part of the "After the Flop: No One Has Initiative" article I don't understand.

At the top of page 3: "How do you play after the flop":

You've already seen the categories which give you a basic guideline to follow. Remember: Never play a made hand passively on the flop. Don't set traps and don't call bets with a mediocre made hand. Just play straightforwardly.
      This is clear, play made hands straighforwardly.

The only exception to this rule is made when the SB bets.
      So I shouldn't play straightforwardly in this case? In what way? Do play made hands passively, do set traps, do call bets with mediocre hands?

And why specifically when the SB bets? Would it be different when the BB bets?

"SB, MP2 (me), MP3" vs "BB, MP2 (me), MP3"

If he doesn't and you have a made hand, you have two choices: Bet or fold.

You don't want to check and then call a bet behind you. You will have no idea where you're at with your hand and will not be able to control the hand or the size of the pot.
      Bet or fold... Why would I fold if I can check? The hand may be checked down and I can always check/fold.

Could anyone clarify this part, please?
  • 2 replies
    • dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      I was thinking maybe it's because the wide range of hands the SB could be holdingshould be treated with respect when he bets. I think that would also apply to the BB, but it's a close call.
    • dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      And when you have a made Hand in first position, you don't want the guy to get a free card to draw to a better hand than yours. Maket it expensive to draw to that straight or flush. And get some value for your hand while you're at it.