This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 A5s in blind battle

• Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      I am looking to improve my bb vs sb play and would appreciate your advice on this hand :-

Cassava Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players - View hand 562569
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG+2: $60.25
      MP1: $53.06
      MP2: $81.30
      MP3: $44.25
      CO: $33.92
      BTN: $49.15
      SB: $60.31 (Stats 25/3/29 after 2,539 hands)
      Hero (BB): $69.16
      UTG: $12.44
      UTG+1: $19.00

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with A :spade: 5 :spade:
      8 folds, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks

I think I should have raised pre flop - I may have had a better idea of the relative strength of my hand.

Flop: ($1.00) 9 :heart: 6 :diamond: A :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1, Hero raises to $3, SB raises to $5, Hero calls $2

Top pair here so when he bets I raise, his 3bet was unexpected but I called to see a turn.

Turn: ($11.00) 2 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Now he takes the lead with a half pot bet - the call looks weak now, I was not at all sure where I was (either just ahead or so far behind I couldn't catch up)

River: ($22.00) 7 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $11, Hero ???

Again the half pot bet and I still have no idea if I am ahead.
      How should I have played this one??
      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think your hand is too weak to raise flop for value, so I´d prefer just calling him down and keeping pot small
      I think you´re probably behind against two pair and should fold on the river, but since flushdraw and 78 missed then I think calling down is reasonable
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Top pair here so when he bets I raise

I think this is a leak. With this TP with weak kicker, you are only folding out worse. I would probably call down.
    • purplefizz
      purplefizz
      Bronze
      preflop i think raise is better. completing SB shows weakness. u probly couldv taken the pot then.

postflop, with such a weak hand, you shouldnt be wanting to play for a big pot. i would focus more on pot control rather than value betting.

my 2 cents. :D
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Thanks for your thoughts folks.

On reflection I think the PFR would have been marginally better - if he re-raises then I could have gotten away more cheaply.

The flop raise was probably wrong as lpdlamei says and the call down is surely the better line - controls the pot size as Kaitz20 and purplefizz say.

I suspect I will be working on the blind vs blind play for a while yet so look out for some more problem situations I manage to bet myself into. I managed to print out the Platinum articles on Blind plays before I was relegated to Gold so will be reading those a few times too.

GL all