[NL20-NL50] NL50 A5s in blind battle

• Fagin
      I am looking to improve my bb vs sb play and would appreciate your advice on this hand :-

Cassava Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 10 players - View hand 562569
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG+2: $60.25
      MP1: $53.06
      MP2: $81.30
      MP3: $44.25
      CO: $33.92
      BTN: $49.15
      SB: $60.31 (Stats 25/3/29 after 2,539 hands)
      Hero (BB): $69.16
      UTG: $12.44
      UTG+1: $19.00

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with A :spade: 5 :spade:
      8 folds, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks

I think I should have raised pre flop - I may have had a better idea of the relative strength of my hand.

Flop: ($1.00) 9 :heart: 6 :diamond: A :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $1, Hero raises to $3, SB raises to $5, Hero calls $2

Top pair here so when he bets I raise, his 3bet was unexpected but I called to see a turn.

Turn: ($11.00) 2 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $5.50, Hero calls $5.50

Now he takes the lead with a half pot bet - the call looks weak now, I was not at all sure where I was (either just ahead or so far behind I couldn't catch up)

River: ($22.00) 7 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $11, Hero ???

Again the half pot bet and I still have no idea if I am ahead.
      How should I have played this one??
      Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      I think your hand is too weak to raise flop for value, so I´d prefer just calling him down and keeping pot small
      I think you´re probably behind against two pair and should fold on the river, but since flushdraw and 78 missed then I think calling down is reasonable
    • DeLau
      Top pair here so when he bets I raise

I think this is a leak. With this TP with weak kicker, you are only folding out worse. I would probably call down.
    • purplefizz
      preflop i think raise is better. completing SB shows weakness. u probly couldv taken the pot then.

postflop, with such a weak hand, you shouldnt be wanting to play for a big pot. i would focus more on pot control rather than value betting.

my 2 cents. :D
    • Fagin
      Thanks for your thoughts folks.

On reflection I think the PFR would have been marginally better - if he re-raises then I could have gotten away more cheaply.

The flop raise was probably wrong as lpdlamei says and the call down is surely the better line - controls the pot size as Kaitz20 and purplefizz say.

I suspect I will be working on the blind vs blind play for a while yet so look out for some more problem situations I manage to bet myself into. I managed to print out the Platinum articles on Blind plays before I was relegated to Gold so will be reading those a few times too.

GL all