[NL20-NL50] NL25 Rush AA v possible set

• robpettitt
      robpettitt
      Bronze
      I think with this hand I am looking for confirmation that I did nothing wrong! I went through a big downswing recently when I seemed to run into a set with every big pair I got, and started to look for reasons to fold them if I met big resistance. When the downswing ended I changed tack again back to playing them hard.

Anyway in this hand I make a standard 3bet preflop from villain UTG which he flat calls. As it is Rush I have to put him on a fairly wide range.

On the flop he checks to me, I make a pot size bet both to protect against the flush draw and for value against Kx. When he flat calls I put him on maybe flush draw or Kx. The question is should this be a warning and for me to slow down?

On the turn then should I check behind? I don't think so and think my AI was right, I am never folding my $18 in that pot and the T on the turn can't help him.

The only other way I see to play it is to make a smaller bet on the flop to control the size of the pot, then check behind on the turn and make a call to the inevitable bet on the river. I still lose but less and most of the time I will be losing way too much value.

So I think I got it right but unlucky, any feedback gratefully received as always!

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $9.24
      MP1:
      $10.00
      MP2:
      $37.10
      MP3:
      $15.00
      CO (Hero):
      $25.10
      BU:
      $11.19
      SB:
      $25.23
      BB:
      $16.69
      UTG1:
      $34.04

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      UTG1 raises to $0.75, 4 folds, Hero raises to $2.25, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.85) 5, 8, K (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $4.85, UTG1 calls $4.85.

Turn: ($14.55) T (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $18.00(All-In), UTG1 calls $18.00.

River: ($50.55) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $50.55.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of aces(A A).
      UTG1 shows three of a kind, fives(5 5).

UTG1 wins with three of a kind, fives(5 5).
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I don´t like potsize bet, since that would make him calling hands like TT/JJ very difficult and he´d likely only continue KQ, AK or flushdraws, that he might shove over your potsize bet
      To me 3$ is much better bet, which would likely widen his c/c range on the flop
      Since board is drawy then I think you can b/c turn. Don´t like again shoving, since it is very hard to call with worse hands. 9$ is enough that he´d clal with Kx hands or shove with draws.
      If you´re not certain that he´d call with worse hands, you can always go pot control on the turn, but with AA I think playing for stacks in 3-bet pot is fine