[NL2-NL10] NL10 KQ vs Trip board on the river

• ShadowOfLight1337
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with K, Q.
      CO posts deadblind, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 raises to $0.60, CO folds, Hero calls $0.60, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.05) T, 9, Q (3 players)
      MP2 checks, MP3 bets $1.10, Hero calls $1.10, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($4.25) T (2 players)
      MP3 bets $1.80, Hero calls $1.80.

River: ($7.85) T (2 players)
      MP3 bets $3.20, Hero calls $3.20.

Final Pot: $14.25.
      Results follow:

The guy's a 13/6 over 80 hands. I didn't feel like foldind to his tightness, because I was in position.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

That's exactly why those hands are called trouble hands, especially against villains that look tight. They look pretty and it's cheap so you take a flop hoping to flop big, you only flop a hand that most likely is no good against a tight villain's valuebetting range, but he's betting small so you call down, and end up losing about a stack anyway.

There isn't anything you can do except knowing your villain better and choosing between two bad options: calling down knowing there is a good chance you'll get valuetowned because he's tight, and making a weak fold knowing you might have the best hand sometimes because it's always a possibility against an unknown. Either way, try and make that "what do i do with a top pair against that guy if he bets flop and turn?" decision preflop, or at least have an idea.

Hope it helps.