This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 QJs vs preflop minraise and then callingstation

• ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP2 (Hero):
      $10.65
      MP3:
      $10.15
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $8.70
      SB:
      $10.05
      BB:
      $13.25
      UTG2:
      $11.45
      MP1:
      $12.95

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J, Q.
      UTG2 raises to $0.20, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 5 folds.

Flop: ($0.55) J, Q, T (2 players)
      UTG2 bets $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, UTG2 calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.35) 9 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $1.20, UTG2 calls $1.20.

River: ($4.75) 5 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $2.30, UTG2 calls $2.30.

Final Pot: $9.35.
      Results follow:
  • 3 replies
    • fulja
      fulja
      Bronze
      I don't like this...i've seen so many preflop limps and minraises with strong hands at these limits. Wouldn't amaze me if villain hit a set, but a K (AK, KQ too) is definitely a huge part of his range here that I'd play it in a totally different way.

Definitely calling flop there, with a 9 on the turn I'd just check it to keep the pot small. Checking river too for a cheap showdown.

Have no idea if my play has any sense here. :) Really interested too see coaches opinion here, will keep an eye on this thread.
    • prg09
      prg09
      Bronze
      Hi,
      definitely an interesting hand!
      I think i would have played a bit differently on the last street. I would also go ahead and bet on the turn but I would just check on the river and call a small raise. If he led out with a big raise, i would think i was beat.
      My thinking here would be the following: on the flop there is an obvious OESD and you re-raised him but he called. Then he check/called your bet on the turn so i think he really showed quite some strength. That's why i would put him on a big hand like two pair or better and i would opt for a cheap showdown.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Depends what you mean when you say he's a calling station. If he really is the usual calling station type, then him raising preflop and c-betting that flop might already be super strong, he could have a set or AK, as well as KK+ that has decent equity against us. If he's raising looser than that then raising on the flop is mandatory.

As played the turn is close too, unless villain has a huge preflop raising range including a lot of top pairs (which a calling station likely doesn't have), the value is thin when the board is 4-straight, it could go either way. If you do decide to bet, the value is even thinner on the river, so it should be a check back unless his range up until know is really awfully wide.

Hope it helps.