Short Stack Strategy- Preflop questions

• Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I´ve played that strategy for a while and I´m still confused how to play pre-flop:)

1)NL 25, my stack 5$, MP2 stack 25$ I raise UTG with AK 1$, tight BSS re-raise MP1 2,5$. To me it means aces, kings or sometimes AK. According to the strategy I should now move all-in, because I have left 4$ and my raise was 1$, 4:1. But if I know that I´m mostly behind, why I still have to move all-in?
      Would there be any difference, if SSS would re-raise all-in from MP1?

2) Same situation, only this time I have JJ. Now I´m even more trouble than before, so I would fold here, although article recommended moving all-in

3) I have AK from MP2, tight BSS player raise 1$ from UTG, my stack is 5$, according to the article I should move all-in because I if make 3$ then I put in 2/3 of my stack. Same problem here with JJ. The best thing I could hope is coinflip, but I think that I´m behind. If I have JJ also don´t like to get stacked.
      If SSS would raise, I would fold here my AK and JJ, because I´m way behind and my EV is -.

Even I have earned 3000PP, that means I´ve probably played over 20k hands, I still don´t know pre-flop principles, which means I don´t play perfect pre-flop game and I would loose money in the long run. To me it just seems wrong to get stacked every single time against aces and kings and I try to avoid that as much as I can.

To me most NL 25 BSS (25$+) seems tight and they re-raise SSS players only with premium hands.
  • 2 replies
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      The main reason behind this is because of the good Equity u get vs his raise/reraise range.

Try to toy a little bit with Pokerstove ect. The SHC are build with Pokerstove and it fundamentals base on Equity and hand ranges at certain positions.

Right guys? :D
    • altruist
      altruist
      Bronze
      I'd say observe the player, or if you have a tracker check his/her stats. If you know that player has a very tight PFR range, you know he probably has you beat.

Otherwise, push.

It is commonly said that poker cannot be played using a fixed set of rules. (Especially true in no-limit). Sometimes you need to ask yourself questions like..

"Does he have aces?"

"Is he just doing it because he knows I'll fold every time he does that?"

"Has he seen me fold to a raise like that on that table recently?"

(Or she where he is, respectively. I'm just lazy to type he/she)