[NL2-NL10] NL5: AK hits the K and gets in trouble?

• Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)       
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,06
      UTG+1:
      $3,92

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BU with A:club: , K:club:
      UTG+1 calls $0,04, 3 folds, MP3 raises to $0,16, CO folds, Hero calls $0,16, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls $0,12.

Flop: ($0,54) 7:diamond: , 5:diamond: , K:spade: (3 players)
      UTG+1 checks, MP3 bets $0,20, Hero raises to $0,70, UTG+1 calls $0,70, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($2,14) Q:club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $1,20, UTG+1 raises to $3,20, Hero folds.

Another hand I hate.. actually timed out on this.. I've lost too much with TPTK-hands so I must admit I have become a little scared of committing my whole stack vs a more or less sane villain.. help is needed here!

Final Pot: $6,54
  • 5 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Mugge88!

First of all I would reraise preflop (~$0.50). Like you played it: raise more on the flop (~$0.90). If he calls you on the flop and check/raises you on the turn you have an easy call because the pot is bigger and the odds you are getting are too good.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Well, my reasons not for raising is that I will mostly end up with TPTK (if anything at all) with AK, and I really don't wanna build the pot too much with such a weak hand - might be too scared, but seems like I'm always beat if he actually calls the pfr.. Gonna have to try out some different ways - Would be easier if i had pt, but still a month or 1½ to go I think.. Will try reraising it over the next days and see how it works out. Now to the next step: Reraising pf also counts for AKo i guess? And what if I'm OOP and opens with the AKo and get's reraised - raise/fold/call? - My standard would be call or fold depending on the opponent (I assume that he always raises 3x my raise).

Will note the flop - bet full pot - does this count for every board or only when (semi-)drawy?

Best regards,
      Mugge
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Here is an example to show you what I mean:

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:spade: , A:spade:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0,04, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0,04, MP3 calls $0,04, Hero raises to $0,28, BU folds, SB raises to $0,72, 5 folds.

Final Pot: $1,16

Imo its a clear fold since he doesnt 3-bet that often pf (first time I saw it).
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mugge88
      Well, my reasons not for raising is that I will mostly end up with TPTK (if anything at all) with AK, and I really don't wanna build the pot too much with such a weak hand - might be too scared, but seems like I'm always beat if he actually calls the pfr.. Gonna have to try out some different ways - Would be easier if i had pt, but still a month or 1½ to go I think.. Will try reraising it over the next days and see how it works out. Now to the next step: Reraising pf also counts for AKo i guess? And what if I'm OOP and opens with the AKo and get's reraised - raise/fold/call? - My standard would be call or fold depending on the opponent (I assume that he always raises 3x my raise).

Will note the flop - bet full pot - does this count for every board or only when (semi-)drawy?

Best regards,
      Mugge
      Hi Mugge!
      First of all if you raise with AK (and of course even AKo) preflop you reduce the number of your opponents which means there are less hands which possibly beat you. If you don't raise you are often up against 3 or more opponents and don't know if your top pair top kicker is good. If you raise oop and get reraised most of the time you call unless you know that your opponent is really tight. If you hit the flop and the board is dry also a 1/2 to 2/3 potsize bet is ok. But if the board is draw heavy you should bet 3/4 to potsite.
      Concerning your hand: Nice fold. If you have this read on your opponent: go with it!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      One of the main reasons we reraise AK preflop is (provided that our opponents will call with some worse hands) that it lets us commit when we flop TPTK without usually being behind. There are of course other reasons, like narrowing the field as mentioned (although a single raise usually does this), the semi-bluffing aspect and to give you the initiative.

As played, I think you really have to check the turn behind for pot control.