[NL20-NL50] NL50 set against 3bet on river

• awishformore
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8, 8.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.00, 2 folds, SB calls $1.75, 2 folds.

Flop: ($5) 6, J, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50.

River: ($12) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $8.00, Hero raises to $19.00, SB raises to $45.50, Hero calls $26.50.

Final Pot: $103.

So yeah, of course this seemed obvious to me at the time I played it because it had never crossed my mind before to fold a set ("set over set = cooler, don't even think about it" etc.).

Taking a closer look at how the hand unfolded, I however realize that all I had here was a bluff catcher. What could he possible call a raise with on the river that I have beat? Very rarely QJ maybe, maybe even some other two-pair, but that's very unlikely. Betters sets make a lot more sense, especially if you take into account that he is a solid NL50 TAG. His sets and the straight have me beat, however, and I think they are almost the only hands he will play against a raise.

As played, I think I have to fold to his shove - this is basically never a bluff unless you have massive history. But can I even profitably raise here?
  • 1 reply