This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL50 set against 3bet on river

• awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $50.75
      MP2:
      $27.70
      MP3 (Hero):
      $53.20
      CO:
      $52.60
      BU:
      $118.15
      SB:
      $51.00
      BB:
      $52.55
      UTG2:
      $50.75

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8, 8.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, Hero raises to $2.00, 2 folds, SB calls $1.75, 2 folds.

Flop: ($5) 6, J, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($5) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50.

River: ($12) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $8.00, Hero raises to $19.00, SB raises to $45.50, Hero calls $26.50.

Final Pot: $103.

So yeah, of course this seemed obvious to me at the time I played it because it had never crossed my mind before to fold a set ("set over set = cooler, don't even think about it" etc.).

Taking a closer look at how the hand unfolded, I however realize that all I had here was a bluff catcher. What could he possible call a raise with on the river that I have beat? Very rarely QJ maybe, maybe even some other two-pair, but that's very unlikely. Betters sets make a lot more sense, especially if you take into account that he is a solid NL50 TAG. His sets and the straight have me beat, however, and I think they are almost the only hands he will play against a raise.

As played, I think I have to fold to his shove - this is basically never a bluff unless you have massive history. But can I even profitably raise here?
  • 1 reply