How to get people to call KK/AA preflop?

• altruist
      altruist
      Bronze
      Whenever I raise UTG, 95% of the time the action folds to me.

I'm curious, how do you play KK/AA?

SSS Strategy states you should raise it 4x (or 3x+limpers) every time I believe, but the only time I ever seem to get called is when I'm against an equal hand or one that completely dominates me (e.g. KK vs AA).

I'm more curious how players here play it.
  • 9 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi altruist!

It's just your personal impression. You will experience that a lot of players will call or even raise your UTG raises and not only if they have aces. Play a lot more hands and you will notice that it is profitable to raise KK/AA in every position.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Xzorius
      Xzorius
      Bronze
      I didn't get action on my aces so i started slowplaying it.

It has gotten me some very large pots since. Only had to fold em once, never lost.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Xzorius!

Slowplaying aces on the micro limits is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. You might have another impression so far, but in the long run you will lose value.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Xzorius
      Xzorius
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Hi Xzorius!

Slowplaying aces on the micro limits is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. You might have another impression so far, but in the long run you will lose value.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      How is that?

When i bet, most of em fold. But if i just call the BB, alot of other guys limp in aswell and thats just what i want. I hope they catch a pair on the flop and bet for it. With KK, i dont want alot of players in so i raise.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Because AA loses a lot of equity against multiple opponents. You just have a pair and often your opponents do not only catch a pair but two pair, three of a kind, straights....etc. meaning that they beat you. A pair - even a pair of aces - is very vulnerable in NL so you have to protect it. Preflop you have the nuts and you want to get your money in with the nuts.
      To make it short: RAISE, RAISE, RAISE - there is no other option on the micro limits!

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I agree with Puschkin. AA is my most profitabl hand, and even though I most often win without seeing a flop, and lose awfully sometimes when I am called by weak hands, it is still the way to play.

I min raised my Aces from SB, and BB called the single bet, and on a flop of K66 I felt wonderful. Until BB showed 36os at the river, for a resounding win. I would rather win the Blinds than let weak rubbish beat me by playing badly. I've given up min raising and limping.
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by altruist
      SSS Strategy states you should raise it 4x (or 3x+limpers) every time I believe, but the only time I ever seem to get called is when I'm against an equal hand or one that completely dominates me (e.g. KK vs AA).
      Hi,

Doesn't it state that 4*BB + limpers*BB ?
      There was no raise - You bet 4 times the big blind plus 1 big blind per limper (player who called the big blind). The players who are in the blinds don't count.
      I might be wrong, though :)

Ohmu
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      You are right Ohmu!

It's 4 times the Big Blind plus one Big Blind per limper.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • altruist
      altruist
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ohmu
      Originally posted by altruist
      Hi,

Doesn't it state that 4*BB + limpers*BB ?
      There was no raise - You bet 4 times the big blind plus 1 big blind per limper (player who called the big blind). The players who are in the blinds don't count.
      I might be wrong, though :)

Ohmu
      Yeah you're definitely right. Not sure how I ended up saying 3x as I never do that. I think I was confusing it with the 3x re-raise on re-raise hands.

Hey if one of the admins or coaches are reading this, could someone answer this question on this thread for us?
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/wbb_en/thread.php?threadid=6172