This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 99 on Q K high board

• Termis
      Termis
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $10.55
      BU:
      $19.23
      SB:
      $21.20
      BB:
      $22.42
      UTG2:
      $10.00
      MP1:
      $13.72
      MP2:
      $10.38
      MP3 (Hero):
      $10.25

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9, 9.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.40, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) Q, 4, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, CO calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.35) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.00, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.35.

Sorry for posting so many hands. This will be the last one for now :) .

Again this is such typical situation. His 1$ looks weakish as if he fear that K. Would it be an option to bet fold, check fold river? What should I do after his smallish bet. These situations cost me so much. Should'nt I cbet in these marginal situations at all? But it would feel stupid to raise pockets, because most of time there's gonna be overs. In NL5 i had no problems, and people folded enough, but on NL10 I feel drastical change in fold equity here.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I don't think you can do anything else on that board really, only alternative on the turn would be turning 99 into a 2 or 3 barrel bluff at that point to prevent yourself from being bluffed out by flushdraws/floats and maybe get him to fold some better hands like TT-JJ and possible weak Qx hands with 3 barrels, that's an awful lot of big blinds to commit on a whim.

And there is certainly value in c-betting that flop, so i don't think you should check a hand as strong as 99 there unless CO is so tight that he'll fold anything but a Q.

The thing that bothers me most and probably prevents you from winning is that everybody is an unknown to you, and optimally exploiting/playing back at unknowns is just not possible. I don't know how your session usually go, but it'd suggest you stop cut out mindless grinding for a while, get a HUD if possible and focus on getting reads and adjusting to people.

Hope it helps.