[NL2-NL10] NL10 99 on Q K high board

• Termis
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9, 9.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.40, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.95) Q, 4, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, CO calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.35) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.00, Hero folds, CO gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $2.35.

Sorry for posting so many hands. This will be the last one for now :) .

Again this is such typical situation. His 1$ looks weakish as if he fear that K. Would it be an option to bet fold, check fold river? What should I do after his smallish bet. These situations cost me so much. Should'nt I cbet in these marginal situations at all? But it would feel stupid to raise pockets, because most of time there's gonna be overs. In NL5 i had no problems, and people folded enough, but on NL10 I feel drastical change in fold equity here.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I don't think you can do anything else on that board really, only alternative on the turn would be turning 99 into a 2 or 3 barrel bluff at that point to prevent yourself from being bluffed out by flushdraws/floats and maybe get him to fold some better hands like TT-JJ and possible weak Qx hands with 3 barrels, that's an awful lot of big blinds to commit on a whim.

And there is certainly value in c-betting that flop, so i don't think you should check a hand as strong as 99 there unless CO is so tight that he'll fold anything but a Q.

The thing that bothers me most and probably prevents you from winning is that everybody is an unknown to you, and optimally exploiting/playing back at unknowns is just not possible. I don't know how your session usually go, but it'd suggest you stop cut out mindless grinding for a while, get a HUD if possible and focus on getting reads and adjusting to people.

Hope it helps.