[NL2-NL10] NL25 Rush AA cracked

• robpettitt
      robpettitt
      Bronze
      Just had to post this. I couldn't believe that he had called my 3bet preflop with 94s, let alone raised with it in the first place.

When he 3bet me on the flop I put him straight away on an overpair, couldn't discount 33 or even 44 if I got really unlucky but I was ahead of the vast majority of his range. I decided then to call it down because the pot was big enough, right call!

Any comments gratefully received. I seem to be on a massive downswing at the moment, I run KK into AA, get hit by sets or ridiculous runner-runners, and at the other end just can't seem to get paid properly when I do hit. Have just dropped below my limit for NL25, so back to NL10 and start again :(

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $34.70
      MP2:
      $24.55
      MP3:
      $21.90
      CO (Hero):
      $25.00
      BU:
      $7.85
      SB:
      $8.80
      BB:
      $11.23
      UTG1:
      $17.75
      UTG2:
      $13.50

Preflop: Hero is CO with A, A.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $0.50, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $1.75, 3 folds, MP2 calls $1.25.

Flop: ($3.85) 4, 4, 3 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.25, Hero raises to $2.50, MP2 raises to $4.75, Hero calls $2.25.

Turn: ($13.35) 3 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $3.50, Hero calls $3.50.

River: ($20.35) Q (2 players)
      MP2 bets $6.50, Hero calls $6.50.

Final Pot: $33.35.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, aces and fours(A A).
      MP2 shows a full-house, fours full of threes(9 4).

MP2 wins with a full-house, fours full of threes(9 4).
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Well if he either has you beat or he has another overpair, I'd rather just make sure i stack other overpairs while accepting my losses against worse hands. What if he has QQ and the turn comes a K? We don't get big money from him anymore.

I'd probably continue with a small 4bet on the flop, and as played after you called the 3bet i'd raise the turn to rather i think will look weakest to him. And I'd have gotten stacked but still would feel good about it :)

As for the downswings, it happens and it's part of you learning poker too. How to stay cool and keep playing your A-game when it happens, making good quitting decisions if you're tilting, practicing good bankroll management and overall aiming forward even when it looks like you're racing backward. Hang in there and if you feel like the money is a problem, grind nl10 a bit more to make sure you can afford losing a few nl25 buy-ins during your next shot without feeling right away like all is lost again.

Hope it helps.