Strategy Changes for $5 SnG's???

• Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      Hi,

I've been playing 9-man SnG's at Full Tilt for about a year now and am a consistent winner at the $2 tables. I just moved up to the $5 tables about a week ago and am getting killed. (I realize a week isn't a large sample.) I usually seem to be extremely short-stacked when down to about 5 players and can't come back.

I've reviewed my game and feel that I'm playing pretty close to the same as I was when winning at the $2 tables. I follow the SHC pretty closely, with the exception of the steal re-raise which I have difficulty doing without premium hands like AQ+ / QQ+ in phase 2 play (push-fold stage no problem).

Just wondering if you guys that have played the $5 SnG's at Full Tilt have any suggestions for tweaking my game from the $2 SnG play.
  • 9 replies
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      After posting this, I played a couple more SnG's and won both. The only change I made was opening up my hand ranges a bit in the late & blind positions. I'm not sure if this is a long term plan, but it got me out of my funk so WooHoo!

I'd still love to hear any adjustments that you guys could recommend.

Thanks.
    • pinnryder
      pinnryder
      Bronze
      I don't think there are any adjustments you have to make. There is not a big change in play I would say. If you stay tight in the beginning and know ICM in the push or fold stage, you shouldn't have any problems becoming a winner at the 5$ SnGs.
      I started with playing them and had no problems with the level of play or something.
      You were probably just struck by variance.

The only adjustments I made to the standard strategy on this site was raising AQ and sometimes playing suited connectors and aces in position in multiway pots.

So if you play standard strategy you will be a winner at the 5$ SnGs.
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      i wouldn´t change a lot as well. maybe you will encounter some multitabling regulars a the 5$s but that´s about it i guess. i would still assume that every unknown player is horrible ^^
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      You shouldn't need to make radical changes to your game. I actually found that the jump from $1.20 - $3.40 - $6.50 on PokerStars that the one main change in my game was to steal and re-steal a little more often as I was getting much more respect and taking down uncontested pots preflop.

I don't know about fulltilt, though if you're a long term winner at $2, you should still be at $5. Just see where you're at after a larger sample size
    • Abe1919
      Abe1919
      Bronze
      I think the difference from $2-$5 are quite noticable i'm going thru a bad run myself average of 1cash in 4tables in my last 20 games,it's not that i started playing bad(not that i was good in the first place) but recently i been racing alot in the late stages and not having a big enough stack to come back from these situations. I think the most important change from $2 to $5 is that you can steal the blinds alot more and would suggest that you try to do so as often as possible and hope they make a mistake when you're good to call the resteals.
      Bronze
      You shouldn't notice any difference untill at least the $6.50s. There is a diff between $1 and $5 but not $2 and $5
      at least when I was going through the limits on FT but that was more than a year ago. I think like posted above
      just stick top the strategy and you will be fine. You will see a ton more regulars at the $6.50 turbos on FT but
      most of them are bad.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      5$ = donkfest ... mark regulars with color + play tight + use basic icm trainig at buble = 20% ROI and more ... at 5$ regulars
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      20%+ sounds a bit high ;)
      what´s the rake at those 5$s (turbos)?

//edit: ah you were talking about regulars. well maybe 20%+ is possible then :)
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      :f_love: