[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH, Reading fish nuts

• BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (5 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($3.62)
      BB ($2.11)
      UTG ($3.98)
      Hero (MP) ($7.58)
      Button ($8.39)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, A
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.14, 1 fold, SB calls $0.12, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.32) 8, K, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.72) 10 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.44, SB calls $0.44

River: ($1.60) 10 (2 players)
      SB raises to $2.84 (All-In), Hero calls $2.84

Total pot: $7.28 | Rake: $0.48

Now I think I played the hand good (maybe except the river?) so if you can think of a better play I'd be glad to hear it.

The real question is: How to read when a fish has nuts? In the session I just finished it happened quite often that a fish would "slowplay" his big hand since preflop, taking lines like:

UTG limp, CO Hero raise 5BB (with JJ), BU calls, UTG All-in, hero calls, villain turns AA

Or like in the hand I just showed, he had KK here.

The thing that I have trouble with is how to read those extremely strange plays they make? Was that shove from a limper in my 1st example enough to get me off JJ? Was the river close to double pot AI in my 2nd example any helpful? Hell I was putting him on a Kxs at best... Really struggling with those lines :f_confused:
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I usually don't mess with limp/reraises from the fish with anything less than KK for 100bb, unless i have a reason to believe they're doing it light. Depends on a lot of things. Do they often limp and get raised? Maybe they're pissed off after a few hands. Do they always raise first in and suddenly just limp, or do they limp with everything all the time? Did they lose a big pot recently? Of course if they're shortstacked it's a pure math problem, if you enough equity you're forced to call with JJ.

In this hand the check/call twice and overbet shove river is a pretty common line for the fish to slowplay with. That being said i could see him do that with JT/KQ/AJ depending on what he perceives as the nuts, and since we can't really put him on KK/QQ, that leaves KT/QT/TT/88 as reasonable hands that beat you. It's hard for him to show up with a hand he needs to bluff with, nothing completely missed. We're about flipping against that range, even if we include KK/QQ we have about 42% equity. Considering we're getting roughly 1.563:1 odds which translates to ~39% equity, it's a call even with the fish having an empty bluffing range (which obviously is never true).

You'd need to take KQ out of his range to make it a clear fold, still assuming he's not bluffing. Who knows, maybe he does play like that, maybe he doesn't :)

Hope it helps.