This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH, Reading fish nuts

• BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Bronze
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (5 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB ($3.62)
      BB ($2.11)
      UTG ($3.98)
      Hero (MP) ($7.58)
      Button ($8.39)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J, A
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.14, 1 fold, SB calls $0.12, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.32) 8, K, Q (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.20, SB calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.72) 10 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.44, SB calls $0.44

River: ($1.60) 10 (2 players)
      SB raises to $2.84 (All-In), Hero calls $2.84

Total pot: $7.28 | Rake: $0.48

Now I think I played the hand good (maybe except the river?) so if you can think of a better play I'd be glad to hear it.

The real question is: How to read when a fish has nuts? In the session I just finished it happened quite often that a fish would "slowplay" his big hand since preflop, taking lines like:

UTG limp, CO Hero raise 5BB (with JJ), BU calls, UTG All-in, hero calls, villain turns AA

Or like in the hand I just showed, he had KK here.

The thing that I have trouble with is how to read those extremely strange plays they make? Was that shove from a limper in my 1st example enough to get me off JJ? Was the river close to double pot AI in my 2nd example any helpful? Hell I was putting him on a Kxs at best... Really struggling with those lines :f_confused:
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I usually don't mess with limp/reraises from the fish with anything less than KK for 100bb, unless i have a reason to believe they're doing it light. Depends on a lot of things. Do they often limp and get raised? Maybe they're pissed off after a few hands. Do they always raise first in and suddenly just limp, or do they limp with everything all the time? Did they lose a big pot recently? Of course if they're shortstacked it's a pure math problem, if you enough equity you're forced to call with JJ.

In this hand the check/call twice and overbet shove river is a pretty common line for the fish to slowplay with. That being said i could see him do that with JT/KQ/AJ depending on what he perceives as the nuts, and since we can't really put him on KK/QQ, that leaves KT/QT/TT/88 as reasonable hands that beat you. It's hard for him to show up with a hand he needs to bluff with, nothing completely missed. We're about flipping against that range, even if we include KK/QQ we have about 42% equity. Considering we're getting roughly 1.563:1 odds which translates to ~39% equity, it's a call even with the fish having an empty bluffing range (which obviously is never true).

You'd need to take KQ out of his range to make it a clear fold, still assuming he's not bluffing. Who knows, maybe he does play like that, maybe he doesn't :)

Hope it helps.