SSS, BSS or SnG?

• Jaggo90
      Jaggo90
      Bronze
      Just recived my $50 capital on partypoker.. Which stategy would you recommend? I do SNG on pkr and i'm starting to be quite successful but i dont just wanna do SNG.
  • 12 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Be aware that Full Tilt Poker has already made the SSS strategy obsolete on their site. Poker Stars and Party Poker are expected to take similar steps by the end of April.

After that the other sites may or may not switch but if the big three do it then everyone else will seriously consider it as well.

SNGs are still a good way to build up a bankroll so if you've been successful there you might as well continue and take stabs at BSS once your SNG game is solid.
    • Roachor
      Roachor
      Bronze
      Well it all depends on what you find the best to play.. i myself is doing SNG's atm and later on going to concentrate on MTT's and Tourneys..

It all depends on what suits you tbh.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey Jaggo90,

it's pretty much impossible to answer that question. The strategy should suit your style - maybe try different strategies on lower limits to see how you're doing and then start upping the limits.

Hadi
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jaggo90
      Just recived my $50 capital on partypoker.. Which stategy would you recommend? I do SNG on pkr and i'm starting to be quite successful but i dont just wanna do SNG.
      SSS is boring and I've read some people in the forum say that they don't think it works. I didn't play it for long but I fall into that later category myself.

BSS will teach you how to play early in SNGs so that is the best way to compliment SNG play.

Nav
    • ro1chwvd
      ro1chwvd
      Bronze
      For another example I'll tell you my story:

I also received the starting capital on partypoker and having read some strategy docs about beginner steps, I started SSS there. I was going up with the bankroll but it got boring after about 10k hands. Then I took stabs at 1$ turbo sngs and some mtts without any learning about the strategy. Of course I experienced some tilt and with the help of some other experiments with higher sngs, I went broke. By that time I really got to like sngs but they don't suit me, because of very high variance and I can't afford to massive multitable for many hours a day.

If your like me, and can play only a few hours a day, maybe 2, 3 even 4 tables at once, I think the best thing is BSS. Of course read, understand and really follow the strategy articles at first.

The last advice, if you can call it that... my favorite rule which helped me a lot is "don't fall in love with your hand", may the power of FOLD be with you :)

:club:
    • Jaggo90
      Jaggo90
      Bronze
      Thing is with bss is that on the low/micro limits to many people call your raise on a killer hand before the flop and they get lucky! Thanks for the advice! I think I'll do some sngs. Turbo or regular? Surely turbo is based more on luck. I'll read up on the articals when I get home from work. But yea on pkr I'm doing well on sngs
    • MISTER880
      MISTER880
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Be aware that Full Tilt Poker has already made the SSS strategy obsolete on their site. Poker Stars and Party Poker are expected to take similar steps by the end of April.
      Please excuse my ignorance, but how have they made the strategy obsolete?

Cheers
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MISTER880
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Please excuse my ignorance, but how have they made the strategy obsolete?

Cheers
      By rising minimum BI.
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Thing is with bss is that on the low/micro limits to many people call your raise on a killer hand before the flop and they get lucky!
      Well it can tilt You and lower fold equity estimations since some fishes dont fold at all, but that leads to cool implied odds. Your problem is -EV for them and +EV for You, so i dont think its a problem. I like fishes who go to showdown with garbage.
    • Navrark
      Navrark
      Bronze
      Thing is with bss is that on the low/micro limits to many people call your raise on a killer hand before the flop and they get lucky!
      I wish this was the case, but it's not my experience. Full Tilt and PokerStars are full of Nits in the micros, so the majority of opponents play only top hands.

In SNGs on the other hand, there is plenty of donk players and - while they do get lucky often - in the long run a smart player benefits.

I'd rather play the donks in SNGs than the Nits in BSS.

Nav
    • Jaggo90
      Jaggo90
      Bronze
      Yeah i love SnG just got my bankroll to $250 on pkr... played a $5 buy in... iv never seen so many loose players in my life.... came 3rd tho.....

I'm doing NL10 on pkr as well.. which is going well ATM.

i got my capital on party poker... trouble with the sng's on there is the $1 sit n go's are turbo and you get a lot of lucky players.. bankroll is slowly improving though.
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      SSS is good in micro stake for building bankroll + understand the game,
      but IMO it is boring and don't help you to improve your game,
      I will never play SSS again, now I'm playing FL and SnG