1000$ freerolls / daily dollar strategy

Bronze
      I have quite a difficulty playing either in the daily dollar on FTP or in a regional 1000$ freeroll on stars. The problem is I'm not sure which strategy to use. On the one hand, both of these tournaments are very very fish-rich, so I probably should use the freeroll-guide available at this site. On the other hand, by using it I rarely ever get good results. I usually bust out after, say, shoving preflop with AQ in the middle position with no raises behind a.s.o. When I use SnG strategy, however, I just get blinded out.

Are these kind of tournaments really based on luck that much? Because I've seen some guys writing on the net that they usually finish in the money following a certain kind of strategy and I just can't believe it.
  • 21 replies
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      "On the one hand, both of these tournaments are very very fish-rich, "

"On the other hand, by using it I rarely ever get good results. I usually bust out after, say, shoving preflop with AQ in the middle position with no raises behind a.s.o. When I use SnG strategy, however, I just get blinded out.

Way to prove your own point...

Always laugh at low (or no) stakes palyers (as i am ) that call other people fish
      Bronze
      Didn't get you.
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      sorry. i guess my point was that i consider calling people fish to be derogatory. ie you are insulting peoples poker skills. considering you are playing free roles and by your own admission cant beat them, I find that quite funny.

no offense meant. just before you call people fish, learn poker
      Bronze
      What you're saying might sound logical, but playing against fish in freerolls is not at all that easy. Just because I can't get to the final table doesn't mean I am a bad poker player or that the players I'm up against are good solid poker players. But anyway, that is not what this thread is about.
    • ThePotcher
      ThePotcher
      Bronze
      Shoving in middle position with AQ in a freeroll is not a bright idea. Never shove with anything less than pocket Q's, especially in freerolls as you're likely to be called by more than one player. I've played many, many freerolls and you basically just have to pick the right spots. If you have many limpers in front of you, I would fold with almost anything.

Read the freeroll strategy article on PS.
      Bronze
      Shoving in middle position with AQ in a freeroll is not a bright idea. Never shove with anything less than pocket Q's

I'm confused, because that's not what the freeroll strategy article says.

If you're sitting in middle or late position you should also go all-in with JJ or AQ, as long as no one has raised before you.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1558/1
    • evertonroar
      evertonroar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      But anyway, that is not what this thread is about.
      True. However I thnk if you are looking for advice you are going to need to provide some more info. shoving AQ - was this first hand of the tournament or on the bubble. were you pushing into 3 big stacks? or 4 really tight players.

I think there is more of luck element in lower stakes, simply becuase players will call looser. but to me this should make them more beatable in the long run
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      freeroll get played with a lot of people who can't play or don't care. either way you cvan get called by almost anything and therefore there is a huge amount of variance so losing at a freeroll does not mean you are not good because it might take you a lot of attempt to manage to be itm.

(IMHO)
      Bronze
      Exactly my thoughts, thazar. But is there really no solid strategy to get to the final table fairly often?
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      I'm a MTT fish, but I think this probably holds:

Play tight pre flop, play postion, don't bluff, bet good hands for value, TPTK is the nuts, don't be disappointed when you get sucked out on because you will generally be getting it in ahead.
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Avatars91
      Exactly my thoughts, thazar. But is there really no solid strategy to get to the final table fairly often?
      Apart from winning flips and running good, no.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      actually there is a basic MTT article on freerolls
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      it's pretty easy to cash in freerolls.. (assuming atleast top 10% cashes).. I cash almost every week in a $1000 freeroll with 5000 players. Yes it does require some luck, but if you don't cash in like 10 freerolls your probably doing something wrong.

Early stages = lots of donkeys/people who don't care/fish etc. Who will just shove k-9 offsuit with a 50BB stack for no reason at all. So play tight, don't call an all in unless you got a big monster. There's absolutely no reason to risk all your chips on one hand when your deepstacked. Unless that person shoves alot or you have QQ+ OR AK just fold it..

I don't recommend trying to bluff, since bad players usualy can't fold weak hands. So even though your bluff would have worked against good players, a bad player will probably call it. Just play tight agressive basically and blind steal alot.

My 2 best results so far in that freeroll have been 7th and 35th in a total of 10-15 tries i think.
    • Dead75Money
      Dead75Money
      Bronze
      This how I play them. It depends on the table though. You have to adjust your strategy according what your table is doing.

In the beginning I see as many flops cheaply as possible. I just limp all the time and wait to catch then make the other pay. Many players cannot or will not let go of TP not matter what so use that to your advantage.

There are so many chips flying around in the early stages it should be your job to try to get every last one of them. Again as cheaply as possible.

If that strategy isn't possible at my table I'll just play my usual game of tight controlled, well timed aggression. I'll use my tight image to my advantage but only on those that I know are paying attention.

Also don't try to bluff in the beginning when many inexperienced players are still in it they'll call you no matter what you do. Just play basic ABC poker.

After the first break just play your normal game but watch the table and what's going on in it. Don't limp at all in the middle and late stages. If you're playing a pot you should be raising or not playing at all for the most part. If you just call all the time you cannot figure out what your opponent has and are playing 2 card poker really which is beginner poker. If your hand isn't good enough to call a raise throw it away.

Most importantly. Never risk your stack early unless you have the absolute nuts and I never put all my chips in pre flop early on, too many suck outs. If anything I use the stop and go. make a rise pre flop then when my flop hits I'll shove post flop.

This is what I do and I regularly cash in these tournaments. I haven't won any yet which is what brings me here but I just wanted to share what I did. Some may disagree and that's cool too. Just trying to help.
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Originally posted by Dead75Money
      If anything I use the stop and go. make a rise pre flop then when my flop hits I'll shove post flop.
      That's not the stop and go play. This play involves cold calling a late position PFR from blinds which "stops" the preflop action and then shoving as beign the first to act on the flop. It relies mostly on fold equity, so I don't think is that useful at freerolls where opponents' fold equity is close to zero most of the time.

As for a strategy for freerolls I think it's somewhat like a micro buy-in MTT. Except there's a lot of players busting out in the first minutes. Your strategy will also depend on the blind structure.

I advocate playing very tight ABC and mostly in position. Value bet big hands, like cbet pot all streets for value with a set+. Pot control w/ TPTK. Play passively monster hands vs maniacs and let them hang themselves (except if it's a wet board, then I suggest shoving since you'll get paid 100% of the time from all OESD and FD and sometimes guts). If you have a good stack limp behind or call a small PFR with some suited connectors on CO or BTN in a multiway pot (when you hit your draw you'll get paid really big, maybe bust out 2 or 3 players).
      Try figuring out where are some nits to your left to steal from. Never slowplay AA/KK. On mid/late stages shove vs multiple limpers with 88+ and AK+.

And whatever you do, avoid risking your whole stack. Avoid playing those huge stacked maniacs that are raising and calling shoves with J5s unless you're way ahead.

You'll bust out many times because MTTs have a higher luck factor. And you'll want to punch your computer when you bust out ahead of your opponents. But in the long therm (in the very long therm tho) your good decisions will show profit.

Most MTTs I bust out from are allin preflop with TT+ and AQ+. And my biggest busto hands allin preflop are AA/KK. In the same day I busted out of 4 MTTs allin preflop: 2x KK, 1x AA and 1x AK.

But by far my best results came from:
      - very TAG play
      - great folds, especially preflop
      - winning coinflips
    • Dead75Money
      Dead75Money
      Bronze
      So you point ou t me error then say exactly what I just said pretty much. I hope it makes you feel good.
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      So you point ou t me error then say exactly what I just said pretty much. I hope it makes you feel good.
      I meant no criticism mate. But I actually think there's a difference between what you said to be a "stop and go" and what I said.

You said:

If anything I use the stop and go. make a rise pre flop then when my flop hits I'll shove post flop.
      I said:

Originally posted by cryoburn
      This play involves cold calling a late position PFR from blinds...
      The difference is you said the play is made by raising preflop and I said the play is made by cold calling preflop. In the first you have on the flop the "right of first initiative" by being the preflop aggressor. In the latter you have initiative because you're first to act. What you described is simply winning a pot with a CBet-shove while the latter is made by making a Donkbet-shove.

These plays are very different from each other. And also the "stop and go" relies much on stack sizes as on fold equity.

What you said is actually standard:

You said you raise preflop and when your flops hits you'll shove. That's pretty standard ,especially if your commited.
    • jyknz3
      jyknz3
      Bronze
      I play free roll a lot
      i know how you feel and what you mean,
      they simply call you with anything, even 7 2
      but i don't ever think any of the players are fish, untill i sit down at the table start playing with them for a few hands. just kind of have to figure out how tight these "fishes" of yours, cuz they can easily call you with A 10 off, against your AA. They want to see as many flop as they can, and when they do, they usually fires. bluffing against them are just useless.
    • alenstrat
      alenstrat
      Bronze
      In the beginning I see as many flops cheaply as possible. I just limp all the time and wait to catch then make the other pay.
      That's horrible advice, thought I'm sure most of us did this when we started. It's tempting to play every hand, when you see all these people doubling up with shit hands hitting anything on the flop. But the in long term you will surely not profit with this strategy. You'll tend to waste many or all of your chips without catching anything, and then have nothing when the good hands come.