Does AK need dead money to push all-in?

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      The reason I'm asking this is two-fold:

First, against a pocket pair, it is not a 50-50 coin-flip...but more like 45-55, right? So without dead money in the pot, isn't a push -EV over the long run? I know that you aren't always up against a pocket pair with AK, but I'd say you are a good portion of the time.

Second, let's say that you are up against 66-22. If you are all-in, you have no chance of pushing them out of the pot if they miss their set on the flop. If you have money left behind, you can usually get a fold from a low pocket pair with your c-bet even if you miss.

Don't get me wrong...AK has been very profitable for me, I'm asking more from a theory standpoint than a practical one.

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 2 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Kknight!

Interesting question but I think that AK is profitable even against pocket pairs because often if you push all-in preflop and are up against a low or medium pocket pair they will fold to your push. For this reason you can say: if you have enough fold equity you can even push with only 45% equity to make that move +EV. In addition - as you already mentioned - you are not always up against a pocket pair which makes it even more +EV.
      But in general you should be careful with going all-in preflop with AK if you play BSS (in SSS that is different).

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      That's the kind of explanation I was looking for :)

Thanks Puschkin!

Kknight