Starting capital-how high/low can we go

• byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      Hi girls and guys, I know you get this alot, but I'll give a brief intro about my 50$ story too...
      I got 50$ within 72 hours as promised, for which I'm very gratefull...
      Anyway, I got that like 3-4 hours ago and I managed to improve my bankroll to 61.21$
      I was down to 43$ at one point, but climb my way to the current balance, while playing mostly pot limit omaha 5/10 cents.
      I usually play those 1/2 cents games, but since, and if I understand this correctly, in order to get this 50$ and unlock another bonus, I have to get 1000 point and therefore some risk is needed. So far I got 15-16 Points.
      I play at Everest poker by the way.
      Does anyone (who managed to win the bonus eventually) has any suggestions regarding the games and limits I should play in order to win this?
      Best regards,
      B
  • 17 replies
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Hi byTHEx;

Congrats on first successful day! :)

Originally posted by byTHExl
      Does anyone (who managed to win the bonus eventually) has any suggestions regarding the games and limits I should play in order to win this?
      Best regards,
      B
      If I can give you one advice: forget about bonus for now. :) Just focus on improving now, play according to bankroll management rules and you'll get the bonus in no time. There's no need to play higher than your bankroll allows you - the risk/reward ratio is very bad. Easy game :f_cool:

Good luck at the tables!
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Hi,

don't play Omaha with starting capital because you will bust eventually unless you're an expert in Omaha. Look, you just got your starting capital and already experienced a 20 dollar swing (from $40 to $60). That's 40% of your bankroll swing!

I started with No Limit Holdem 1c/2c, used Big Stack Strategy, slowly moved up a couple of limits when bankroll management allowed me to, and cleared the bonus at NL10.

Good luck at the tables.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i agree start with holdem and mving to plo later if u want. holdem is a much easier game to learn imo
    • byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice PPl. I think I'll do that. I need to slow things down...

Here's what happened today - saturday, a weekend at last - all rest and no work :D (wife's spending some time with her parents so I had all the time in the world)... I pretty much played poker all day, watched House a bit, oh yeah, and the unfortunate bank robbery at pokerstars.tv (hope no one's hurt).

Anyway - got hooked on PL Omaha and early this morning (which is six hours ahead of US east coast time). managed to build my bankroll to an aproximate 91$. In a course of two-three hands - couple of hours later I managed to waste 20$ (more or less) on 10c PL Omaha, which put me on tilt, to say the least. I lost another 10$ after a while of playing, when I decided to joint 5$+50c sit n go at NL Holdem where I won the first prize of 21$. Than I lost to one Japanese fellow (the most patient man I saw at poker tables since I play- which is about three-four weeks if you don't count play money games and occasional freerolls) another 10$. I played another tournament, this time fixed limit Holdem- where I almost came in the money by following POKERSTRATEGY's fixed limit holdem STARTING HAND CHART, (with one exception when I called a raise with KQ os. King came on the flop, I raised and re-raised and ended up losing the hand to the guy who had AK, which probably cost me the tournament ITM spot- top five were ITM - I came 9th out of 53).
      By the early this evening I came down to 50$ (after which I decided to take a rest and watch Hugh Laurie- He's one celebrity I would really like to play heads up against). Anyway, about an hour ago and moved on to playing 2c fixed and no limit holdem and PL Omaha. While playing PL Omaha I won 10$, another 60c at fixed limit Holdem and another 3$ at NL Holdem.
      Again I felt hungry, tried to push things up, to get back to that magical 80-90$ bankroll... and lost again. Now after another bad beat, I'm still in surplus since yesterday with 64.23$. But the good news is - I got ALOT of points today...

Oh, yeah, I play at Everest Poker...
      That's about it - hope this will be an interesting read for at least someone....
      Sorry for my spelling, but English is not my native language...
      Cheers,
      B
    • byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      ...And thank you for your replies... I'll try the big stack strategy for NL Holdem at 1/2c and see how it goes. I stil have 14$ surplus...
      Is it okay to play multiple tables at this level?
      Cheers,
      B
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by byTHExl
      Is it okay to play multiple tables at this level?
      Yup, as long as you can follow the action... tbh the best approach is to start with one, maybe two tables and build from there (ideally over multiple sessions - not over one session!). Yes it will be slow, but until you're comfortable making decisions you shouldn't stretch yourself too far.. you are far more likely to make bad plays if you pressure yourself through multi-tabling to many tables.

And stick to your nitting - don't jump around games if you can help it, learn BSS and learn it well. Poker is a game of variance and it only takes one bad BRM decision and one bad session to wipe out months of work!.

A little discipline to start will provide a lot of benefits down the line. Best of luck! :f_biggrin:
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Hello, guys :) i would recommend you to play some low limit SnG's(1-2$ buy-in), I think that they are great way to learn to play and you can make nice profit there :) since I'm new to pokerstrategy forum, here's my short story, how I built up 100$ from 0$(I play at full tilt) : as you already understood I started with a freeroll, where I won 2$, then played one MT SnG (90players, 1,1$ buy-in, 18 ITM) and took 4th place, then I started to play more SnGs and managed to build my bankroll in two weeks. The worst thing is that I tried to play at MTT's, but I'm not good enough at them, and I lost ~50-60$ already there.
      Great way to learn is watching videos how other people play, if you haven't done this yet, I strongly recommend this. I made big improvment in my game after watching only few videos(~2-3h). When i started to learn to play poker i couldn't believe that I have to fold e.g. AJs while in sitting early position(early phase), but when i saw this in video, it became a very easy fold :)
    • byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tip Bignius - I actually did that yesterday, but played 5$ sit n go, and won - total of 21$, which saved me from being at the losing end of the game... I'm considering playign those 50c sit n go now, trying to be disciplined in regard to my bankroll management...
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      be careful in these 50c SnG's cause there are a lot of fishy players :) and good luck ;)
    • s1m0nmp
      s1m0nmp
      Global
      Hello byTHEx
      welcome to PS... well I'm a beginner just like you.
      SHORT Story...
      I have played poker for few years already but just for fun of it, online with friends... winning or loosing i didnt really care... on one other site similar to PS I received SC: $50... never really cared about BRM and lost it in about one month or so going up and down... mostly playing low limits "my way" and when I lost some money i would go up the limit trying to win that back and than to loose it in lower limit again... i went like that back and forth till i finally didn't lose everything on higher limit... bad beat after bad beat... well i just needed several to lose anyway... so I learned a hard way...
      These are the things I learned till now
      BRM is your everything... its more important than anything in POKER... no matter how good you are or your cards are, when your BRM is 0 you can't WIN...
      that brings me to the second part:
      There is no other way than RIGHT way to win at poker / money...and PS teaches you that from the beginning... TIGHT is RIGHT...
      I played with my PS. money FL... at least tried... but couldnt stand those fishes there, and played some variance of FL...I did follow SHC to the end... but obviously... 10c raise will not protect you against a draw... i figured that out specially playing against the fishes...
      I also played some SnG and these are nice to play but once your are out for a bad beat, you can't continue at that table with already knowing who is your FISH=MONEY
      so I started playing SSS... It teaches you in short steps to play TIGHT and Aggressive... no reason to Cold Call a raise... either you have better cards or not... No need to wait for a draw... you exactly know where you stand and thats the best of it... many people will tell you SSS has no poker soul... I can see where is that coming from BUT it definitely teaches you the first steps of TIGHT/RIGHT poker... considering that low limits are full of fish this is what you need, you can PROTECT your hands, and not let them draw... some people will call and hit but at least you played it right... you were in front and at that moment and gives you an edge... SSS also gives you opportunity to clear your $50, by collecting enough points... you are also able to learn to multitable. on the other hand you can also learn from BSS on your table how they play, hand reading and hand ranges... and of course one day you ll want to switch to BSS but for that you need a nice bankroll and I think SSS is the best way to make that happen... I see that you are similar as me... not really hugh amount of time to play so I ll give you a small encouragement for this too... I have just recently switched to SSS... maybe end Feb... luckily I didn't yet have huge loosing sessions, actually NON... I have played 650 hands(plan is to play 250 a day)... laughably little, but I have made a profit of $18 in 3 days... that is 28 BB / 100 Hands = $2.80 / 100 Hands... I know this is also sick but as i have little amount of hands played its possible...I know my downswings will come of, course, but with WIN/LOSE Limit, with this money i have already saved my BR from two losing sessions with max LOSE Limit of 10BI
      Therefore I recommend you to play SSS if it is possible on Everest... You will clear your $50, you ll learn the r(t)ight game, will easily build your BR, move up the limits, learn to multitable...

Sorry for such a long post... As I said, I recommend you this, but your choice is yours... you may think its too basic too boring, but its the beginning and for sure it will not get easier than now so ...
      Whatever you decide I wish you good luck at the tables...
      and may the good cards be with you :-)
    • byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      Thank you for your reply s1m0nmp...
      As you said, we are similar as far as poker experience is concerned- and I decidet to stop playing "my way" too- although I continue to improvise on occasions, but not when the stakes are too high.

Now I'm in to playing FL Holdem and currently my bankroll is close to 70$ with no significant swings one way or another. I lost a couple of dollars (bringing my bankroll down to 60.05$- the lowest point since saturday), only later to reclaim them. Since then I steadily climbed my way to 69$- something...
      Only this - Played some poker at Carbon Poker - came second at H.O.R.S.E. freeroll, claimed 10$, just to lose them later on against some tough competition just waiting for a :f_cry:
      like me at 10-20c pl Badugi (They have them at Carbon Poker- and I love that game). I thought I was good at badugi, but this was a carnage - I lasted just a couple of minutes.
      I don't care - since I decided to gamble for fun and experimenting with no strict strategy applied on other poker sites in which I manage to get ITM at their freerolls.
      However, I'll stick to the rules with this 50$ bonus at Everest Poker and see where it takes me.
      Cheers,
      B
    • byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      Just an update on my current affairs - 85$ on my bankroll. I play 20c FL Holdem shorthanded at Everest Poker. I play according to FL strategy - to the letter (calculating MP2 as a UTG1 of the extended chart since is shorthanded table and generally adopting the chart in accordance with shorthanded table). I play with hardly any bluffs whatsoever, except for stealing the blinds from the tight players or if I'm heads up against them, since most of the players at this level are totaly loose, calling with just about anything and raising with any ace or a king pre flop.
      That's it from me regardign this thread, since anything more would be more like a poker blog, making this the wrong place to post...
      Cheers,
      B
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Would happily move this into the blog area if you wanted to continue it as a blog?

Just let myself or one of the other moderators know ;)

Wishing you continued success and enjoy your poker.

Best regards,

Bart
    • byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      Sure, I would not mind to have my thread where I could exchange experiance with other players- thank you. But one question, please- is it possible to change the title of this thread - it looks really dumb - I don't know what I was thinking - maybe it could be something like- My free starting capital, for example (This still looks bad as well, but not as bad as the original one-I think I'm suffering from badtitlegitis- help- seriously if the moderator has any better idea, please do not hesitate to change it accordingly!)

Anyway - I played shorthanded 20c FL Holdem yesterday, mostly since I came from work. It seems my MA thesis is on hold right now :( . My current bankroll is 90$ or something- can't give you the exact numbers since, as I write these lines, Everest Poker is down for maintainance.
      Yesterday I had the first real sense of frustration, but learned an important lesson - CHANGING THE TABLES!!!.
      I was down 1,5 - 2,5$ at one point (with no spectacular reason - cards were simply bad - I had a couple of showdown and lost- this would be a sample hand (which I'm trying to copy from the Elephant, but don't know how- so I'm gonna write it down here- If anyone knows how to transfer the hand history from Elephant to Forum, please explain-):
      HERO (me)
      HERO is BB - AhQs
      MP3 calls, CO raises, 2 folds, HERO BB bets, MP3 calls, CO calls
      Flop (9,2 SB)
      7c 4d Ac
      HERO bets, MP3 folds, CO calls
      Turn (5,75BB)
      8d
      HERO bets, CO calls
      River (7,75BB)
      Kh
      HERO Bets, CO raises, HERO calls
      Final pot (11,75BB)
      HERO shows a pair of aces
      CO shows two pairs of kings and fours (Kd 4h)
      CO wins

Aside from the unlucky showdowns I had made a few mistakes as well (betting against the opponent on turn and river while bluffing on few occasions and knowing that in 90% cases the opponent will call- will attempt to correct that today )

Later on, I managed to make a comeback and profit (around 20BB) - which took three-four hours of play. At that point, I realized that the players left at the table were too tight and I decided to play until my position was at the BB and then call it a day and listen to some live coaching sessions.
      But at that point a really loose player came, I guess a maniac, with 10$ buy in. I thought, maybe to stick around for a while and try to win some money off of him.
      He was lucky on more than one occasion and after 10-20 hands had a sum of 18$, playing virtually every hand to the end, calling with all kinds of garbage and raising with any pair.
      My bankroll was 3,20$ - I was frustrated and on tilt - played all in on PL omaha 4cBB and lost 2$, continue to play on FL Holdem even when maniac left with the total loss for the evening (including Omaha venture ) of 3,7$.
      At that point I decided I had enough and left the table to find another.
      It didn't take me long to find a perfect table with two maniacs, calling station, a donk, and a rock. After the session ended, an hour later, I was up by 10$- give or take a few.
      For today's session I decided to play at one particular table for half an hour the most and if I'm not making any profit or loosing money, I'll change it immediately.
      That's it for this post,
      Cheers,
      B
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hello my friend.

Your now in the blog section :)

You can change the title of your thread by going to your very first post (in this thread) and then clicking on "Edit". Then going and changing the title of that first post.

From Elephant, if you click on sample hands, select one and then look down in the bottom right hand corner, there are some options there allowing you to copy the code in PokerStrategy forum format. I'm looking around for a screenshot as sometimes easier to show rather than try to describe. Will locate it or take another for you and add in shortly ;)

Best regards,

Bart

Edit: Screenshot link. Sorry it's in German, but the format is the same. You need to click on the "PS" button at the bottom on the right.

• byTHExl
      byTHExl
      Bronze
      Dear Bart,
      Thank you for your kind and prompt help. I can handle German (basic at least), so it won't be a problem.
      Thank you again,
      Cheers,
      B
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Hi, any new updates? How are you doing? :)