Compulsive playing

• rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      Hi

Ive been playing NL holdem for about 2 months. I really enjoy the game but I realized that I loose control on time spent on it. It started affect my everyday life ,my work and study. It also has negative effect on the gameplay coz I got tired and dont play my best. I found this usefull feature in PartyPoker called Self exclusion. I decided to take a brake for a week. Did u have this kind of problems? What time frames would u suggest to play in? How many days a week?
  • 9 replies
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      No I cant say that Ive personally had a problem with compulsive playing. I play from 1-5 hours a day at least, depending on other things I have to do its more likely to be just an hour or so. I try to play as much as I possibly can but its not a compulsion, its just because I think its THAT much fun :) .
      But Im sorry to hear its affected your everyday life, work and study.
      Perhaps playing for at most 5 hours a day would be good concerning the "getting tired" thing. But if you have lots of other things to take care of perhaps you should not play at all that day or at most around 1 hour?
      I hope you can get things back on track man :) .
    • Jhonty
      Jhonty
      Global
      hey rubyselsia, r u playing real game or you are playing online sites. I usually play on online sites like XXX and i haven't faced the problem as u r having. If you haven't tried online game why dont you try this one. And one good thing is you can play sitting at home.
    • Classical
      Classical
      Bronze
      Wow, on-line poker! Great tip! I guess not many members of this forum knew that such a thing exists!
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Classical
      Wow, on-line poker! Great tip! I guess not many members of this forum knew that such a thing exists!
      :D - Made me laugh :D

I have never played that much (plays for a max of ~10-15 hours a week at most), so I'm probably not the best to give advises here, but one thing I think is very important to remember: No matter how fun and awarding poker can be, it's still only a game - Remember that your real life comes first (particulary the social life is important to keep up on - even the very best of the poker pros know that they will need friends).

If i were you I would set some strict limits for myself on how much I was allowed to play (like max 4 hours a day, minimum 1 day off the tables a week or something similar fit to your needs).

And one last thing. Just said almost the same in another thread, but: As soon as you notice that you don't play optimal (tilt!) log out and take a break until you are feelling ready again!

Best regards,
      Mugge
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      Hi

It was Party Poker. When I started cash games I was playing compulsively with really bad results. Now I can control the amount of time spent on it. I realized that I simply suck and loose money playing 15h a day not to mention other side effects.
    • boschman123
      boschman123
      Bronze
      hiya rubysilesia, i play around 3/4 hours a day. in the morning i get out of bed around 6 o'clock. have an run through the park, shower, breakfast , and then i start playing at an american friendly site. it will take about an hour to get freshed up and to get concentrated to play. i usealy have an one and a half hour session in the morning.

same thing goes for the evening session. i watch a movie or do some emails and then i go out for a walk. make tea (lots) and set the alarmclock, i will play for 2 hours and stop when the bell rings. if i am at some real good tables i will play a little longer. but that is seldom.

what i want to tell u, give urself some fixed times to play.
    • adeptNL
      adeptNL
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rubysilesia
      Hi

It was Party Poker. When I started cash games I was playing compulsively with really bad results. Now I can control the amount of time spent on it. I realized that I simply suck and loose money playing 15h a day not to mention other side effects.
      15h a day ?? are u kidding me.

So how much sleep do you get ? like 5/6 hours ? then you got a little 4 hours left to uhm ? do something with your love ? checking the weather outside ? personal relations ?

I think thats a HUGE problem if u spending 15 hours a day looking to a pc screen and play with your mouse. ( maby in the same time with your other joystick ).

Really man i hope you downgraded it to like 1-5 hours.
      I dont even get to 3 hours a day :D
    • hippycritt0420
      hippycritt0420
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adeptNL
      Originally posted by rubysilesia
      Hi

15h a day ?? are u kidding me.

So how much sleep do you get ? like 5/6 hours ? then you got a little 4 hours left to uhm ? do something with your love ? checking the weather outside ? personal relations ?

I think thats a HUGE problem if u spending 15 hours a day looking to a pc screen and play with your mouse. ( maby in the same time with your other joystick ).

Really man i hope you downgraded it to like 1-5 hours.
      I dont even get to 3 hours a day :D
      good idea with the fixed time limits.. might have to give it a shot.. i will find myself more prone to tilt after extended periods of play.. mind you i can't imagine 15h's
    • rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Silver
      This 15h was kinda exaggeration but I was playing a lot. When I started playing cash games I was in bad shape generally speaking, had some problems and poker was an escape from them. I become easy addicted. Gradually I started to limit time spent on poker. At the moment I dont play at all coz I have to do some important work and I dont have time also I'm in stress which is not good for playing poker.
      Here some advises to people who play to much (based on my experience):
      - I don't play more than 3h in a row, It's good to take at least 1h break, go for a walk to get some fresh oxygen and stretch bones.
      - I don't play when I'm put into stress (work, school, girl) it really affects game play even if u play correct u can be sure that playing relaxed u would have done much better.
      - I take 1 day off a week or if I have a lot of work I take a week off, during those breaks when I got time I read theory, forum and think about my game.
      - It's important to do some physical activity: go jogging, go to a gym, play basket ball etc. it's good for body and brain (if u work sitting and play poker during free time it can be damaging for your system long term).
      If you got weak will (like i have) u can use self exclusion option in party poker. It requires one click and u'r off.