[NL2-NL10] AKs - facing raise and SS shove from the SB

• BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP ($1.69)
      CO ($1.42)
      Button ($0.88)
      Hero (SB) ($4.76)
      BB ($0.38)
      UTG ($4.32)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, A
      UTG bets $0.16, MP raises to $1.69 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.76 (All-In), 2 folds

My thinking was that AK is a drawing hand and I don't want to play it against too many opponents as it reduces my chance to win.

That being said, is my thinking correct? As I revisit my hand history now I kinda think that "preflop protection" part only applies for pocket pairs, and it's best to get more dead money in the flop if I intend to go allin anyway.

So do I call the AI and have a chance to lure UTG in or should I isolate my AKs against the short stacker?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

It's more a problem of playability than protection.

Say you call preflop and UTG calls, you're out of position playing for a protected side pot, you miss the flop about 2/3 of the time and you might be beat in two spots already. You have like a half potsize bet left and no fold equity whatsoever, now what?

Say you call preflop and seeing a big overbet shove from a shorty and you coldcalling it, UTG decides he likes his hand anyway and jams over everybody. Now how do you feel about AKs? Not that great, still you're priced in.

Shoving is the right play if you want to play your hand (and the shorty looks so spazzy i very much believe you want to play it), it saves you these headaches and it looks so strong it'll push out hands you're flipping with from UTG's range.

Hope it helps.