[NL2-NL10] Blind Battle - flopping the flush

• BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button ($3.46)
      Hero (SB) ($5.43)
      BB ($4.95)
      UTG ($3.51)
      MP ($3.01)
      CO ($1.91)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 10, 7
      4 folds, Hero bets $0.12, BB calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.24) 5, K, 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.12, BB raises to $0.24, Hero raises to $0.60, BB calls $0.36

Turn: ($1.44) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, BB calls $1

River: ($3.44) 3 (2 players)
      Hero raises to $3.71 (All-In), BB calls $3.23 (All-In)

Total pot: $9.90 | Rake: $0.66

I don't like my flop play at all.

To start with my Cbet should have been 4BB and not 3, as it looks weird - it neither seems weak, nor standard,as I cbet 4BB in 6BB pot any other time, not to mention that I very rarely cbet on a 3 suited board.

That being said, I'm lucky on the 4NL level no one thinks about such things, but I really want to improve so...

Leaving the 3BB bet behind, he minraises me. That means 2 things to me: He either has Kx, possibly 2 pair maybe even a set; or he has a good diamond and is on a better flush drow.

Seeing that I immediately re-raise to protect, because all hands I mentioned have outs against me and I want to get the most of him chasing any of those outs, not to mention it's even easier since at that point I think he doesn't believe me to have the flush completed. I continue raising for value and eventually manage to get it all in, which is what I wanted.

I have 2 questions:
      1) Bet sizing - considering I don't cbet on 3 suited board, how do I approach if I was playing against someone who actually thinks? And do I make bigger bets to the river to give him better odds for shoving?

2) What do I do if another diamond comes? As it didn't it had an easy time looking forward to stack him, but I'd be scared as hell if either the turn or the river was a diamond. How should I play it if I am in the same situation, but a 4th diamond hits?
  • 2 replies
    • amplifyd
      amplifyd
      Bronze
      I like to bet bigger on the flop since for protection - but also for value (imo you don't lose value cos you make your bet look more for protection and thus your bet represents just a pair etc better imo).

When raised i raise slightly bigger - to $0.8 (you likely have the best hand so get the most value)

Obvs gotta keep betting on the turn and river. If a diamond had come down I might bet like just over 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by amplifyd
      I like to bet bigger on the flop since for protection - but also for value (imo you don't lose value cos you make your bet look more for protection and thus your bet represents just a pair etc better imo).

When raised i raise slightly bigger - to $0.8 (you likely have the best hand so get the most value)

Obvs gotta keep betting on the turn and river. If a diamond had come down I might bet like just over 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.
      This sounds good. C-bet bigger, as played raise flop bigger, as played bet turn slightly bigger to make the river shove easier.

As for your questions:

1/

If you play against someone you actually thinks, the first thing is his mind will be that when he doesn't have a diamond, his equity is HORRIBLE on such boards. That's why you will usually c-bet those boards anyway against thinking players, so you don't need to worry about balancing, you'll be bluffing there too.

Reason why these are less profitable boards to c-bet with air against the fish is because they'll peel two streets with the 2d or Kx without ever thinking about folding, so out of position it can be a bitch if you have no equity yourself.

2/

Depends what you think this guy will do with a lower flush. The easiest way to go is usually to make some kind of blockbet/fold, most players aren't psychotic enough to shove the 2-high flush on you, so when you get raised usually you're no good. It's the preferred middle ground for most tags, since if you check to him you have no idea what he'll do. He might bet pot with a flush regardless of how sucky it is, he might check behind worse ones and own you by betting all the better ones.

Hope it helps.