Micro limits - should I bluff?

Bronze
      From what I've read in the strategy articles about bluffing I get that in order for a bluff to be profitable it has to work regularly and that you shouldn't bluff against loose opponents. Since I'm playing BSS at NL2, I often find myself playing against all sort of players - both very loose and tight which brings me to the question - should I bluff at these limits (NL2, NL5, NL10) as it is advised in the articles or would I be better off playing only my strong hands strongly? The problem is that it is hard to tell who is loose and who isn't.
  • 7 replies
    • BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      From my experience bluffing rarely works on those limits. On the other hand I often semi-bluff with overcards or flush draws.

Just try to observe the table in the first like 10 mins. You will notice that some people never respect cbets and always call, but fold to continued aggression. You can 2nd barrel bluff those and expect good results on the correct flop (dry board with high card/s)

There are also the so called calling station. You will be amazed how this people can call you all the way to the river with K7o, thinking you're bluffing them and that their K high actually had a chance. Against those it's obvious that you should never bluff :P

Anyway, just remember never to bluff in a raised pot when you aren't Heads Up, and never to bluff (at least on the flop) too draw heavy boards, because villain on this level pays off with everything from gutshot to flush drow and middle/bottom pocket pair ^^
    • marchob
      marchob
      Bronze
      Yes, Continuation bet is very good a this limit.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      Like at every limit, it depends of the board and your opponents at the table
      Bronze
      Just looking for a vague generalization about micro-limit players on general, but you're probably right saying that each situation is different even at the lowest limits.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Silver
      generally speaking avoid bluffing at micro limiots because players are more likely to call light
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      I'd put it this way:
      "Generally speaking avoid bluffing at micro limits because players are focused only on their two cards and are likely to call if they've hit the board in any way."
    • mata123
      mata123
      Bronze
      in my experience at micros you could bluff tight player on some scary boards...but depends on your reads and position...it doesn't have much value to bluff at micros....maybe to have a more aggresive table image