[NL2-NL10] SH NL100 Reraised Jacks IP

• undercover82
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)    

0.50/1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:club: , J:diamond:
      MP2 raises to $4.00, Hero raises to $14.00, 4 folds, MP2 calls $10.00.

Flop: ($29.50) 4:spade: , Q:club: , 6:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $20, MP2 raises to $40.00, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $89.50

He was pretty active preflop so i didnt give much respect to his UTG raise. The thing is , how to react on this flop. Should i take the free card? And what to do vs the minraise as played?
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Hi undercover82!

The preflop play is good. On the flop I would definitely make a continuation bet like you did. The board is good for a continuation bet (one high card, two low cards) and you are up against one single opponent. I would fold to his minraise. You only beat 77-TT and a pure bluff and I don't think that he would play 77-TT this way. Maybe he would have made a donkbet. So I think you played this hand well.

Good luck at the tables!
    • Nunki
      A flop bet here is never going to make a better hand fold nor is it likely that a worse hand may call. A flop bet does protect our hand but since it may not be good I'd go for pot-control/extract value from worse hands by checking behind. There is typically more profit in a turn-call than a flop-bet here.

eg. Very roughly speaking a free-card for a six-outer costs about $4 in lost equity. If villain bluffs $20 half the time we stand to gain $10.

Villain might also make the mistake of trying to protect his mid-PP thinking that we have AK.
    • gutshotstraightdraw
      I think a contibet is a must here on this board. Check behind doesn't make sense because we don't want to give any freecards and show weakness. Besides that we don't know where we stand with our midpair if we check behind and he bets.
      After his raise on the river we have an easy fold.