This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Call 20 against multiple raises

• nzyeti52
      nzyeti52
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I just wanted to clear something up. I was in MP1 and was holding 4 :diamond: , 4 :spade: . Following the starting hands chart it said to call/limp in when no one has acted before you. I understand how call 20 works against a single raise but a little confused how if call 20 works against multiple raises.

Does call 20 still apply against multiple raises?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $1.91
      SB:
      $3.48
      BB:
      $0.13
      MP1 (Hero):
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $2.18
      MP3:
      $1.12
      CO:
      $1.96

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4, 4.
      Hero calls $0.02, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, CO raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB raises to $0.13, Hero folds, MP3 calls $0.11, CO calls $0.05, BU calls $0.05.

Flop: ($0.55) J, 6, 4 (3 players)
      MP3 bets $0.53, CO calls $0.53, BU folds.

Turn: ($1.61) 2 (2 players)
      MP3 raises to $0.46, CO calls $0.46.

River: ($2.53) 4 (3 players)

Final Pot: $2.53.
      Results follow:

CO shows two pairs, jacks and fours(J K).
      MP3 shows two pairs, jacks and fours(J Q).
      BB shows a pair of fours(A Q).

CO wins with two pairs, jacks and fours(J K).
  • 4 replies
    • mata123
      mata123
      Bronze
      Well with my basic understanding i would say that more money in the pot,bigger your odds to call...so i call with small poket pairs a raise +callers/a decent reraise(not an all in or something crazy) very often...
      The key is to fold when you don't hit the flop to a raise,even is soooo tempting to push your luck :f_biggrin:
      Somebody please stop me if i'm rambbling......
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      well this particular situation is a bit tricky:

on one hand you are reraise by $0.11 you have $1.98 so you are not in a call20 situation but there is the COP that could still come in the pot or if not there is dead money si on that basis I would go for it.

on the other hand the CO could reraise and make you fold.

I would call the raise from BB and but fold if CO reraise and i and not in the call20 situation. also if CO reraise and BB call you do not need a call 20 situation but less since you have 2 punters in the pot.

finally note that call20 situation is based on the amount of the raise:
      let 's say you call the $0.13 and CO reraise to $0.20, BB calls $0.20 the raise is not $0.20 but $0.07 and you have oponent an easy call.

I hope it is a bit clearer to you
    • Svizac28
      Svizac28
      Bronze
      Here's how I play small pocket pairs: I usually call all bets and 3bets as long as they arent bigger than 10 big blinds. If pot isnt raised before me, then I raise. On the flop i bet my ass off if I hit a set, fold immediately if I don't hit a set.

So in this particular case I'd call BB's bet
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      I play pretty strict to the call 20 rule with one raiser, but as more players hop into the pot (by cold calling) I start loosening up as the chances of getting paid off with a set greatly improve. With that being said, if one player raises and 2 call, and they only have short stacks, I would probably fold unless I had position or the pp was 88+.

The 3bet by the BB is for his remaining stack, and it seems unlikely that one of the other players remaining will 4 bet after cold calling with 2 other people still left for the side pot. If the raise was to say, 0.30, you could find a fold. But in this case, I'd stay in the hand and fold if I don't hit a set. You're getting such good odds to stay in.