$0.77
      BB:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $1.74
      Hero:
      $3.76

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:diamond: , 8:diamond:
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0.02, BU folds, SB calls $0.01, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.08) A:club: , 4:heart: , 7:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP2 bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.16, 2 folds, MP2 raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.08.

Turn: ($0.56) Q:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.44, MP2 raises to $0.88, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.44

These min-raises sometimes get me into trouble. How can I improve my play when my opponent makes a min-raise? Be more aggressive or fold immediately? I had the top pair in this case, but the kicker was not the best.
  • 2 replies
    • BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      I guess pot control would be the way to go here. You have decent position and the pot is unraised, meaning it will be rather cheap to just call him down to the river, unless you feel he beats you for sure at some point, or he makes a ridiculous shove or a huge overbet.
      You do have the top pair, but remember that your kicker is rather irrelevant.

I guess your flop play is OK (tho I might still prefer calling), but with your raise you get in a strange spot where you only beat a bluff and a flush draw (some strange straight draws are possible too, since the pot is unraised and we can expect ATC pretty much).

Now the turn - I think that's your biggest mistake. He checks. He either completed his flush or is too scared from you having one. Either way, use your position advantage! You have a rather marginal hand, that might have been beat by all sorts of better aces, two pairs and occasionally sets, not to mention the flushes. The fact that he checks to you means you can easily check back. What would happen then is that at the very worst you would have to pay on the river exactly as much as you've already bet in the turn, but the difference is that you would actually see a showdown instead of just having to fold to a min raise. You would also have the possibility to still fold the hand if a 4th heart comes on the river.

In conclusion - my best advice here would be just to check the turn behind, revalue your hand's strength on the river and consider calling some reasonable bets or folding away since you didn't really invest much by that point.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I think you can also isolate pf weak player.
      I would call flop bet, since you don´t hold two pair and if he raises you likely have to fold your hand
      Turn: check back and maybe call river bet unless you want to play there for stacks