This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

The odds 2 people hitting the same pair on the flop

• bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew how to calculate getting the odds of 2 players hitting the same pair on the flop.

For example
      Hero has: A5

The Flop Comes: AT7

What is the probability that Villain has Ax?

If anyone knows how to figure this out please let me know. :s_cool:
  • 2 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      First put them on a range. In a limped pot lets say you are up against A8-AQ KJ+ QJ JTs T9s 22-88. How accurate this particular range is is unimportant, adjust this to your needs but I'm using it for the example. Now remove known cards from the deck and count combinations:

AAT75 gone from deck

AQ-8, AJ-8, AT-6, A9-8, A8-8, KQ-16, KJ-16, QJ-16, JTs-3, T9s-3, 88-6, 77-3, 66-6, 55-6, 44-6, 33-6, 22-6 = total 131 combinations of hands he can have. Now count how many of them are hands that beat you. After all its not just a bigger ace you are worried about but any hand that beats you. 41 of these combinations beat you. 41 out of 131 is about 31%. This makes the hand good enough for a bet/fold only.
    • bigdwong
      bigdwong
      Bronze
      Thanks buddy good reply