[NL2-NL10] Limping into an unraised pot with 66-22

• Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      What kind of pot odds should I be getting to call with low pocket pairs? I've been calling anytime there are 4 limpers before me, giving me 5.4:1 to call. In the SB, I complete if there are 3 limpers, which gives me 7.3:1 (at NL25 tables...9:1 at NL50...maybe I can complete with 2 limpers at NL50, which still gives me 7:1.) I'll also usually attempt to steal from CO or BU if I'm first in with these hands. From BB, I obviously check if the pot is not raised or fold if it is. I only play for set value and play check/fold if I don't hit the flop.

Is all this acceptable, or do I need better odds? I believe that all of my pockets are profitable with the exception of 33 and 44 at the moment.

Thanks,
      Kknight
  • 4 replies
    • gutshotstraightdraw
      gutshotstraightdraw
      Bronze
      I don't know if that's correct, but from my point of view your play should be ok. You also have to calculate the implied odds and if you hit your set they should be quite good. What do you think?

Cheers
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      I'm not sure how much the implied odds factor in when short-stacking. Especially since it tends to be hard to generate much action in an unraised pot.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      The great thing about being a short stack there is that you don't need much action to get all in, the limpers bloat the pot to a good fraction of your stack so you're more likely to get paid in full than any big stack is. Other implied odds hands don't fair so well for exactly the same reason, suited connectors in particular need to either flop their hand or a monster draw when you only have enough money for flop play, the money goes in sooner than you'd like.
    • Kknight
      Kknight
      Global
      Originally posted by howard182
      The great thing about being a short stack there is that you don't need much action to get all in, the limpers bloat the pot to a good fraction of your stack so you're more likely to get paid in full than any big stack is.
      Quite true...thanks Howard