Card Shuffler Suggestions

• woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Anyone using a card shuffler? I'm hosting bi-weekly home games and was wondering if there are any good shufflers that actually work well enough to make it worth the investment.

I wouldn't want to be spending more than 200USD. I've seen several advertised for <50USD, but I cant believe they would be effective.

Any help would be great!
  • 5 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi woopstash,

We used to use one in our home games for a while until it broke.

It was pretty effective and only £15 (circa $23), but it was extremely noisy to operate and did break after a short while.

On that basis, it's probably best to steer clear of the budget models.

To be honest, all of the members of our home games that couldn't shuffle at first, soon learnt through practice, so it really wasn't necessary to replace it.

Interested in hearing how others have got on though.

Bart
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Funny thing is we usually have a dealer... one buddy who doesn't like to play, but just deals the whole time. We play with two decks and someone keeps shuffling the one not in play.

I've seen those cheap-ish ones that you cut the deck and it does the rest, but you'd have to do that 3-4 times before you got a decent shuffle. May as well do it yourself then.

There's a pretty rad looking one called the Shuffle Tech but it runs ~500USD. You pop the cards in and it will spit out a shuffled deck. Buying that would cost 50 buyins at my current limit, so I don't think I'm ready for the 'investment'.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      why not do it like how the TV dealers do it, put all the cards face down, spread them out and just "rub" it around for a minute.

i think that gives a pretty decent shuffle.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Originally posted by elhh82
      why not do it like how the TV dealers do it, put all the cards face down, spread them out and just "rub" it around for a minute.

i think that gives a pretty decent shuffle.
      Yeah, I usually do this when I've got a bad run of cards. Doesn't seem to work though...

After doing some looking into proper shuffling, the 3-riffle, slice and single-riffle technique should cut down on my shuffling time. I was shuffling like 8 times over. I guess it'll be like playing guitar, your fingers will hurt like mad for a while, but then you'll get pretty used to it.
    • elhh82
      elhh82
      Bronze
      logically speaking, it really doesn't matter how your shuffle the cards right?

unless you're intentionally arranging the cards in a way to benefit you, the shuffling shouldn't really matter since the cards are pretty evenly distributed.

it's almost like saying, Full Tilt's RNG is rigged, so i'm going to PokerStars coz their RNG is better. :f_cool: