$4.69
      MP1:
      $5.00
      MP2:
      $3.10
      MP3 (Hero):
      $11.33

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, CO folds, BU calls $0.20, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.47) 3, J, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, BU raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.67) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60.

River: ($2.87) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Final Pot: $5.87.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of queens(Qc Qh).
      BU shows a flush, ace high(Ac 5c).

BU wins with a flush, ace high(Ac 5c).

His minireraise on the flop scared me a bit (I put him on a set) so I tried to go for pot control on the turn. I'm not really thrilled with my call on the River also, his betting on the Turn had me convinced that he played something like AJ or KJ.

Messy play, have I done wrong? :D
  • 3 replies
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      difficult spot. Against an unknown, the minR can be anything: Jx, a :club: draw, a set etc.

No real benefit to getting into a raising war on the flop since if he has a Jack, we'd like him to keep betting. I think your call is ok, even though there are many cards on the turn we won't like.

On the turn, we do have the possibility for a bet. If we are raised, we get a lot of information since I don't think a :club: draw will raise this turn much, so it narrows the range somewhat to Jx (overplayed), slowplayed monsters like KK,AA and sets.

As played, the bet is pretty weak so a call is good.

The river sucks; but I think I can find a close fold. He must put you on a :club: draw sometimes from the way you played so I don't think worse hands than yours bet this river often enough for you to call profitably.
    • Rakoth666
      Rakoth666
      Bronze
      Thanks for the input :)

Yeah that bet on Turn convinced me that he isn't on a draw but he either slowplays a Monster and try to build up the pot, or playing a Jx. That's why i called on the River but i instantly regret it. Too much money on a way too scary flop for just an overpair.

I think my main mistake is that I should bet/fold on the turn, or after my call there i should check/fold the river, am I correct?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Not an easy spot against an unknown.

That being said, the flop is not scary. J-high, couple of low cards, a flushdraw we have a possible redraw to, there are way scarier flops for QQ. I agree with Tim64 tho, 3-betting the flop will rarely be a good idea, and donkbet/folding the turn is an ok line provided you're confident that villain won't raise you again with a worse hand (making a decent size bet helps for that).

As played villain bet the turn really weak, but it could mean anything. "i suck at poker/bet sizing", "i'm drawing cheaply", "please call me i have a set", "i'm bluffing cheaply please fold", whatever. Until you have a reason to lead towards him being drawing, it's hard to do anything other than call.

As played the river is a tad odd too, but his bet sizing helps. Why would he bet big on the flush card with Jx if he had that, if he bet so small on the turn? It's possible he's using that as a bluff card, but that's usually pretty far above nl5's unknowns head. Usually he has QQ beat, so folding is fine.

In ring games you'd make a note on his probable bet sizing tells and likely make a lot of money easily out of him in the future, too bad you're playing rush poker, not having much time to take notes and probably rarely seeing him again sucks ;)

Hope it helps.