[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR AKs @ MP3 - Rush Poker

• prg09
      was it a mistake to call this 4-bet of BB? On the turn i had top 2 pairs and call his big bet which puts him AI. Second mistake? ?(

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, K.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.20, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, 3 folds, BB raises to $1.00, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.40.

Flop: ($2.42) K, 2, 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00.

Turn: ($4.42) A (2 players)
      BB bets $3.00, Hero calls $2.84.

River: ($10.26) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.26.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Weird spot at nl5 without reads.

Calling preflop is 100% fine because you're getting incredible odds and you have position on BB. That being said, if BB isn't spazzing out, AKs is probably in bad shape to begin with, because the most likely hands for BB to do that with are KK and AA, which you're drawing very slim against.

So you'll often end up in spots like this one, with a top pair of kings that basically doesn't beat much of anything in his value range, and yet it beats all his random preflop spazzes. And you end up kinda committed to a hand which you're often drawing dead with, in hopes that your opponent is just messing around.

More often than not i'll play that hand very cautiously postflop and might even end up folding some of the time, even tho my friends call me crazy for even thinking about it. Simple fact is without reads for me, the simple fact that some fish min4bet me preflop makes my TPTK hand pretty much worthless. Can't really fault anybody for going broke when in doubt tho, especially on that turn card, there are only 2 combos of KK+ out there.

Hope it helps.