Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Party Poker
      No Limit Holdem Ring game
      Blinds: $0.50/$1
      6 players
      Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with T:spade: T:diamond:
      2 folds, CO calls, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $5[/color], SB calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 8:club: 7:spade: 9:club: ($12, 2 players)
      SB checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $10[/color], SB calls.

Turn: 7:club: ($32, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero ???

How do you play here?
  • 12 replies
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      On one hand we should protect against 4th :club: but on the other hand I think too often villain check/raises here because of the scary card, which would put us in uncomfortable situation. Besides if we bet here, if he calls, it's only with a better hand & any worse hand he will fold.

I think this is a way ahead / way behind situation, so I would just check it and keep the pot small and if nothing special comes with river I would hope for a reasonable bluffbet from villan and call it.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Let's assume that NL players don't call a pair here so he can't have the 7.
      So he either had already a monster (unlikely because he should protect it.) which is now a FH or he had a draw. The flushdraw is more likely on a 2 suited flop because many gutshot will fold here.

So he often has us beat. I like my hand anyway so I jcheck and decide on the river what to do.

Folding ip if checked to us is really a good choice. *lol*
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I would probably fold behind , to avoid a difficult decision on the river where he most of the times will donk after our weakness on turn.
      But a normal player would check behind i think. No worse hands will call , and now even if we hit a straight on the river we might be behind to a FH or a flush.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Most of you voted wrong imo.

Hero should play bet /fold on the turn. There is a chance that we still have the best hand. But there are many cards on the river which could change that. If an overcard or another flushcard appears on the river we cannot call a bet and could become a victim of a bluff. Therefore we have to protect our hand on the turn. If we get check/raised we have an easy fold because most of the time we don’t have the best hand.
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      "On the river it’s an easy value all-in if Villain called our turn bet. He can hold a straight, flush, trips or a lower full house which he would call with."

Huh? Guess we would have to spike the T on the river to make it an easy AI
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Sorry...my mistake....thought I posted the river, too :D Yes, it was a ten ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      And I assume check behind or fold to a bet on the river if it hadnt been a T? :) . And how would it have been played on the turn if Hero wouldve been OOP instead of IP?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Concerning your first question: yes! :)
      And concerning your second question: What would you suggest? :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Hmm, Im not really sure actually. But I think I wouldve made something like a HPSB or perhaps a bit smaller, in other words a blocking bet, and fold to a raise, but then I think it puts me in a somewhat awkward position on the river if he just smoothcalls me, but on the other hand it might not. I think if my blockingbet would be smoothcalled I would just check/fold on the river, about that Im VERY unsure though :P , since it feels very weak, but perhaps thats fine here since it doesnt feel like most fish would float me for 2 streets and then bluff me on the river as he had the flush, hmm, or would they? :D
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      OOP sucks with weak hands - would probably check/fold the turn if it had been OOP and wait for better spots. If he checks behind and the river is a blank I would reconsider - check/call or bet/fold)

Maybe this line is weak, but if we lead out on the turn and he calls us we stand with a terrible decision on the river as snowylee pointed out
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      You are right: playing those hands oop is not funny. I think oop bet/fold on the turn would be the best line. On the river check/fold might be the best line if we get called on the turn.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yeah I think thats how I would play it. I dont really want to give him the turn for free and really let him get an easy bluff for the flush.