Buying pokerchips

• snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Im thinking of buying myself a set of pokerchips, 400-500 chips I think. Since I dont really know how you should make the ratio between different chips I wonder if someone who has some knowledge about it would be so kind and give some tips for a newb like me? :)
  • 12 replies
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      The amount depends on how many Players max you are about to play, 500 should just about do for a 6 person game, it would be good if there would be more i think.500 chip set you should get for like 100 dollars?Just buy a set, like a suitcase where there are equal amount of each color of chips.I personally would buy a set where there are no numbers written on the chips, so you could think of your own amounts that you want, like different amounts for a small stakes cash game and a different amounts for tournaments.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Well Im thinking about buying one of those, but on the other hand Im thinking of setting a case together myself
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      Setting a case together yourself?Well then the chips have to be the same diameter, weight and height, otherwise it will be wierd I think.And you have to buy the "suitcase" for the better storage and transport anywayz.Too much trouble if you ask me.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yeah perhaps youre right hmmm :) .

Another question, lets say I buy unmarked chips, what would be a good setup for the game if you have 5 different colors (the different values for each chipcolor that is)? Or is it better with only 4 colors? Tournamentplay that is.
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      Originally posted by snowylee
      Yeah perhaps youre right hmmm :) .

Another question, lets say I buy unmarked chips, what would be a good setup for the game if you have 5 different colors (the different values for each chipcolor that is)? Or is it better with only 4 colors? Tournamentplay that is.
      Doesnt really matter.Maybe 5 is better.When we played we had 4 colors.Darker chips had higher value.WE had 5 then 10 then 25 and 100(sometimes 50) values for chips.Depends on how precise you want to be.Wont affect the game play alot i think, but yea at least 4 colors.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yeah ok, perhaps 5 / 10 / 25 / 50 / 100 for 5 colors? Sounds like a good setup? and how big stacks do you think is the best for a friendly homegame? Stacks as in big blinds that is :)
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      I dont know man i think 50-100 would be good i think.Anywayz, when me and my mates played we experienced that tournaments are quite boring when you play a home game.A tournament in a homegame is basicly a Sit'nGo.In internet when you bust out you can just start a new one, but in reallife your mates have to wait.So thats why a home game is usually a cash game.But a tournament is nice for a change.You can even have the values for chips bigger, last one could be even 500.Players could swich chips between eachother.
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Yeah thx for sharing. And yeah I believe a cash game would be more fun too, but especially some people that I know who would like to play might not want to put much money into it, like only a couple of bucks or so and I think its easier to play a tournament (sng) in that case :) .
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      We just allowed a rebuy in our games and played it like a normal SnG. :)
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Ah yeah that sounds like a good idea.
      Excuse me for asking but what are good rules for a rebuy? How much does it cost? Do you have to have lost a certain amount of chips to be able to make a rebuy? Ive never played in a tournament with rebuys and addons, Ive more or less only played a couple of SnG's.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Our rules were that you get the same amout of chips as the starting stack for the same price. And you can only rebuy if you have lost all of them. We mainly play it for fun and after several drinks we don't care very much anyway. *g*
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Haha, sounds good :P .