My never ending struggle ...

• Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      ... to clear the $0.25/$0.50 limit in FL. :)

Hello!

As per Puschkin81's request in What happened to your $50 starting capital? thread, I'm starting this "diary" thread to give a little overview of my poker "career". (And to bash PartyPoker to it's knees :) )

So then, I signed up with Poker Strategy in January because I really wanted to learn to play poker profitably. Because I didn't trust myself then (still don't trust myself) I started with FL Hold'em, I was afraid that with NL I'd make stupid mistakes and gamble my $50 away. About 2-4 months after that I had cleared the $100 bonus, which was a lifesaver as I was running low on money (if my memory serves me right).

After that I didn't play that much poker as I had no time. I've been playing more poker during the 3 last weeks than I've played before that, but that might change soon as well, because school is starting and time will get limited again.

During the 1st week when I started playing more seriously again I had a nice upswing, moved from $200 to $250 in 3-4 days. I was thrilled that I might reach the next limit in, say a week. But that all changed as soon as I opened PartyPoker client and tried a session of poker... a HUGE downswings ...was back to $200 in a very short time (1-2 days; and no, I didn't play trash hands, trash hands were played against me, and they won). I guess there is no action with out a reaction, eh ;) .
      On the 3rd day of the downswing the hands to which I lost weren't so redicioulus anymore, but I was still losing almost at the same pace. But as I wasn't losing to trash anymore I knew there was still hope for me. After that the condition stabilized and I could start movind steadily twoards the $200 mark again.

Also, during that 3rd day, I "accidentaly" (in the absent state of mind) registred for a $22 buy-in (that's the tournament that took a bite out of my BR when I was stabilizing) Omaha Hi-Lo tournament. I can't say that I regret it, because it was fun. Very fun even.
      I didn't do very bad for a first Omaha tournament in my life, I didn't finish in the money, but I was quite close (iirc). Also that $22 came back from cash tables fairly quickly, so no harm done.
      That Omaha tournament made me intrested in tournament games, I've been playing freerolls, small buyins, PP buyins, whatever I can get for an affordable prize to practice.

As I had been a FL player for my whole PokerStrategy financed career and those PartyPoints just wouldn't update in time to give me silver status so I could read those SnG articles, I started to read about and play SSS NL, just to get used to NL, and get the idea behind it. What I did discover is that PartyPoints come in much faster with NL than with FL, also BR swings are bigger. One day you win $20, the other you lose $25, etc.

As to the PartyPokers The Grind promotion I've been playing poker non-stop for the whole week, and now those Grindrolls are almost knocking on my door, but I still don't have any ideas how could I possibly come to a paid place w/out a huge amount of luck. (Thank you PartyPoker for not sending in the POINTS!)

And what's the most annoying about PartyPoker is that it's software tends to be slow, crash, etc. In SSS it made many raises without my permission, because I had clicked on the position where the raise button is 2-5 seconds before it even appared to get focus to the window, and then it just brutally pushed most of my stack in :/
      I've been thinking of moving to FullTiltPoker, but it'll take some time when I reach BR>$600, so until then I'm stuck with PartyPoker.

P.S.: I'm not the kind who usually writes diaries and stuff, so I won't guarantee that this is intresting, educating or whatever. ;)
  • 20 replies
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Hi, In my oppinion it's always interesting to read other peoples experiences :)

Which Grindrolls did you qualify for?
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      In theory up to the $7,500 grindroll... But as Party is hosting it, I wouldn't be suprised if I can only enter the $2,000 one :P The bad thing about those Grindrolls is that you need to be grinding them as well.. they start about 30 mins apart from the last one so it's going to be tight :)

EDIT: I wonder what do they give ppl who have been grinding for 6 days ? :)
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      hehe, thought of the same thing, but ain't gonna play poker today to find out :P

Was pretty tough work playing poker for 3½ hours, 5 days in a row just to make lousy 25 pp's a day.. especially as I started out with a small downswing this week.. But learned somce from it, and i'm surely ready for next week again...

Well, good luck with it and see you at the FT's in the 2k, 3,5k and 5k grindroll ;)

Mugge
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Yeah.. I've been playing SSS for most of the week for this promotion... Mainly because it takes whole day for me to get 50 PP with FL, but it takes only 2.5h to get them with SSS :) Plus I need the NL knowlage at the Grindrolls ;)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Ohmu!

Thanks for your story! Interesting to read how you are doing after receiving the $50 starting capital from us. And it's nice to know that you are doing well (even in Omaha :D )

I hope you are crushing your opponents in the Grindroll tournaments! ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Now then.. This weeks Grindrolls are over for me... $2000, $3500 and $5000 didn't go that well, dropped out quite early (in the 1st one I could last for some time, but still quite early). Now, the $7500 Grindroll went somewhat better, but pocket pair of jacks is just not as good as pocket pair of queens, which got me beat and left me with $30.
      Luckily there is always next week and I might still get a Wii for myself! :)
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Ohmu!

I think $30 is better than nothing, right? ;) But I understand your point. You always want to get it all. Maybe next week. Good luck for next weeks grindrolls! Btw: How much tournament experience do you have? Did you read some books or articles?

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Hi Ohmu!

I think $30 is better than nothing, right? ;) But I understand your point. You always want to get it all. Maybe next week. Good luck for next weeks grindrolls! Btw: How much tournament experience do you have? Did you read some books or articles?

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      Thanks! :)

I don't have much tournament experience, although I've participated in quite many freerolls and stuff, but they have been mostly for fun, until now - now I want to win! :) (Eventually win the $300k guaranteed, but that's still faaaaaaaar away :/)
      I've read some small articles that just touch the surface of the topic, seen some WPT episodes from Joost, and well so much info that can be extracted from this place with bronze status. That's about it.

Might try to read some books about tournaments, but I don't belive it will happen. I've got a bunch of intresting books I want to read in a stack already.. and the average reading speed is about 0.5 pages/day ;) (or even lower).
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      :D I see! But if you want to read a book about tournament play I strongly recommend Harrington on Hold'em I-III.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      I congratulate myself for reaching the $150 mark! I mean going backwards over it... Either I'm having a really bad bad swing or I can't play SSS ... probably both! Will start posting random hands to hands forum and counting the mistakes that people find/point out.

Is it just me or it really is that PartyPoker NL players know this SSS quite well and only call with very strong hands? And are very thight if a shortstack decides to join the game. It really makes one wonder.
      With around 50% raises no one calls, all limpers fold, etc.
      The other 50% is devided into:
      - 40% who call/reraise and who have such strong hands that win.
      - 10% who call with trash from whom ~3% wins with trash.

At the momeny my favourite losing hand is pocket jacks, if someone dares to call my raise, s/he shall win. With JJ's there is one big pot won, and 5 big pots lost. (I know that the hands from 3 days back isn't sufficient, but that's what the brain remembers best and thus makes JJ my least favourite)

For your entertainment - a slowplay with pocket aces to get some money in the pot and not leave with just the blinds. (was quite desperate already, thus the slowplay try)

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      Hero:
      $4.65
      UTG+2:
      $8.96
      BB:
      $4.29
      UTG+1:
      $8.80
      MP2:
      $15.89
      MP3:
      $21.55
      MP1:
      $23.37
      CO:
      $8.41
      BU:
      $13

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond: , A:spade:
      5 folds, CO calls $0.25, BU folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, CO calls $0.25.

Flop: ($1.25) K:spade: , 7:diamond: , 8:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, CO calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.65) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.45 (All-In), CO calls $3.45.

River: ($9.55) 3:spade:

Final Pot: $9.55

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows [ Ad, As ] a pair of Aces
      CO shows [ Jd, Th ] a straight Seven to Jack
      CO wins $8.58 USD with a straight, Seven to Jack.
    • jefeche
      jefeche
      Bronze
      those are excellent books... i mean very good..

before i took a break from playing i rad those books...

and for a wile i cashed in 20 out of 20 tourneys..final tabling 10 of them..

Then i went on a 4 or 5 month tilt session...

Seriosuly i relly love tournments, but does not generate rake.. thus poitns...so i cant play them..
      and beore i play a 5 dollar tourney.. according to ferguson i need 250dollars.. in bankroll... 2 percent..
      1 dollars are just a waste of time..
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Ohmu!

I'm sorry to hear that you are in a downswing at the moment. Concerning the hand you posted: it was just bad luck that you lost this hand. On the flop you are an 80-20 favourite meaning that you will win the next four times - statistically. ;)
      I think that posting sample hands is the best thing you can do. I hope that you learn a lot from it - like I do.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Yeah, will try to post more. Also, I finnaly got pocket JJ that actually won the pot! Yay! I think it's the first win with JJ after some 6 loses with them :D

Originally posted by Puschkin81
      On the flop you are an 80-20 favourite meaning that you will win the next four times - statistically. ;)
      The next four time everybody will fold! :( And yeah, I've given up on statistics. Basically I've improved the theory to better suit me: "If the probabilities of me winning and losing are known, take 90% of the winning probability and add it to losing probability. And just in case multiply the winning probability with 0.1." ;)
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Just played some hands with a lucky fishy... for the kicks, I'm posting them here:
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      Hero:
      $4.90
      CO:
      $18.14

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q:diamond: , A:club:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, CO calls $1.00, 3 folds.

Flop: ($2.35) 9:club: , 8:heart: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.90 (All-In), CO calls $3.90.

Turn: ($10.15) 6:spade:
      River: ($10.15) 7:heart:

Final Pot: $10.15

Results follow:
      Hero shows [ Qd, Ac ] high card Ace
      CO shows [ 5c, Ts ] a straight Six to Ten
      CO wins $9.15 USD with a straight, Six to Ten.

And when I had rebought, I got this hand (played it badly, but he played his even worse):
      Hero:
      $5
      MP2:
      $22.14

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 6:diamond: , 6:club:
      UTG folds, Hero bets to $5.00 (All-In), 2 folds, MP2 calls $5.00, 5 folds.

Flop: ($10.35) K:heart: , 4:club: , 5:heart:
      Turn: ($10.35) 3:heart:
      River: ($10.35) A:club:

Final Pot: $10.35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows [ 6d, 6c ] a pair of Sixes
      MP2 shows [ 7h, Th ] a flush, King high
      MP2 wins $9.34 USD with a flush, King high.

After these hands he started to lose money, first to someone else and then some to me, pitty that he left and I had to leave because I was over the SSS stack size.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Ohmu!

Nice hands! ;) What was the nickname of the fish? Maybe someone wants to add him to his buddy list?! :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Hehe ;) His name was "caveman12361".
      But yeah, I don't like fish.. they are too lucky :( I'm feeling that today was the start of yet another downswing:

UTG:
      $57.47
      MP1:
      $28.88
      BU:
      $25.43
      Hero:
      $5

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K:club: , A:diamond:
      UTG raises to $1.00, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $3.00, MP1 calls $3.00, 3 folds, BU calls $3.00, 3 folds.

Flop: ($10.35) 5:spade: , A:club: , J:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $2 (All-In), MP1 raises to $4.00, BU folds.

Turn: ($16.35) 7:diamond:
      River: ($16.35) 4:heart:

Final Pot: $16.35

Results follow:
      MP1 shows [ Jd, As ] two pairs, Aces and Jacks
      Hero shows [ Kc, Ad ] a pair of Aces
      MP1 wins $2 USD with two pairs, Aces and Jacks.
      MP1 wins $13.64 USD with two pairs, Aces and Jacks.
    • Ohmu
      Ohmu
      Bronze
      Today, I finished as 52nd in $3.5k Grindroll. It was probably the first time that I've got this far in a MTT. And I must say, it was quite a scary experience... Especially when everybody has quite small stacks compared to the blinds, but when you are the shortstack. Can't steal, can't wait for anything, etc... SCARY!

Hopefully those Harrington on NL Hold'em will cover those situations :) I'm looking forward when they'll arrive from the USA, although amazon.com ETA is quite far in the future.

Also now that The Grind is over, I can take a week or so off from poker. This constant downswing isn't that nice.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      The answer is that you steal anyway :P Just make sure you do it before you only have about 1.5bb left.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Ohmu!

Congratulations for finishing 52nd. I'm sure that you will experience a final table if you have read the books and know how to act in the situations where all players have a small stack compared to the blinds.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81