[NL2-NL10] Nl5 Aq

• shanshichi
      Known players:

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q:club: , A:club:
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.08, MP2 calls $0.08, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.08, Hero raises to $0.40, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.32, CO folds.

Flop: ($1.02) Q:diamond: , 9:diamond: , K:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.81, MP2 calls $0.77.

Turn: ($2.64) 5:club: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.64) 9:heart: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.25, MP2 calls $1.25.

Final Pot: $5.14

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, queens and nines (Qc Ac)
      MP2 shows two pairs, kings and nines (Kc Ah)

MP2 wins with two pairs, kings and nines (Kc Ah)

pretty standard?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Considering it's a minraise I'd say you can go either way preflop, usually I'd overcall since the original raiser has a low PFR and i don't mind seeing a multiway flop with AQs since we can make nutted hands. If MP1 was a 20 PFR fish instead or something, 3-betting would be my default play.

Postflop is fine until the river. What do you think he calls your bet with? He raised preflop and called a 3-bet even tho he's somewhat tight with his raises, then he minbet/called a big raise on KQ9 2 diamonds. So either he has a made hand or he's drawing. Then he checked both the turn and the river. If he had 9x he's now ahead, if he had Kx he's never folding, if he had diamonds he's never calling. When you bet you're targeting exclusively Qx hands knowing you have a Q blocker in your hand, he has few of these to begin with and he might not even call with them. I think it's too thin, tho it's not bad per se.

Hope it helps.