[NL2-NL10] KK vs tight player

• jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Hi,
      was this a good play by me with KK ? Im not sure about the check on the turn. I think he hit a set on the flop already or had a queen.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $14.20
      MP2:
      $10.15
      Hero:
      $16.20

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K:diamond: , K:spade:
      MP2 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, BB calls $0.40, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.55) 7:diamond: , 6:spade: , Q:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $1.20, BB calls $1.20, MP2 folds.

Turn: ($3.95) J:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($3.95) Q:spade: (2 players)
      BB bets $3.50, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.95
  • 2 replies
    • BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      I'm a big fan of turn bet here. As played you have NO idea where you stand, and you show GREAT weakness, because you cbet the flop and then check turn behind - something you do when you flop air and just hope to get it with a cbet.

Considering that there are pretty much no streight and flush draws on this board, villain could easily have Qx or some other 88-JJ pocket pair.
      Your check behind on the turn is extremely weak. Just bet it again. I'd do something like 2.6 (2/3 pot), which will be extremely helpful in showing where you are, but will leave you enough ground to forfeit the hand if it gets too ugly.

If you get called on the turn again, I'd be pretty sure I'm up at least against Qx and could easily check behind the river.
      Also an opponent with Q might be tempted to attempt a check-raise on the turn, as you would have been the aggressor both preflop, flop and turn, and obviously you'd just check behind for a free showdown and avoid complicated thin value bets (if it would even be a value bet).

On the other hand after a turn bet where he calls, if he donks the queen, unless it's something extremely small (like 1/3 pot) it's very easy to fold, as Qx and set would have been the only hand that make sense with such a line.

Pretty much all my assumptions are based around the turn bet. Really just bet that turn next time ;) As played he could have a Q the same way as he could have A7 in this spot but you've no idea where you're at

better luck next time :tongue:
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by BattleHunter
      I'm a big fan of turn bet here. As played you have NO idea where you stand, and you show GREAT weakness, because you cbet the flop and then check turn behind - something you do when you flop air and just hope to get it with a cbet.

Considering that there are pretty much no streight and flush draws on this board, villain could easily have Qx or some other 88-JJ pocket pair.
      Your check behind on the turn is extremely weak. Just bet it again. I'd do something like 2.6 (2/3 pot), which will be extremely helpful in showing where you are, but will leave you enough ground to forfeit the hand if it gets too ugly.

If you get called on the turn again, I'd be pretty sure I'm up at least against Qx and could easily check behind the river.
      Also an opponent with Q might be tempted to attempt a check-raise on the turn, as you would have been the aggressor both preflop, flop and turn, and obviously you'd just check behind for a free showdown and avoid complicated thin value bets (if it would even be a value bet).

On the other hand after a turn bet where he calls, if he donks the queen, unless it's something extremely small (like 1/3 pot) it's very easy to fold, as Qx and set would have been the only hand that make sense with such a line.

Pretty much all my assumptions are based around the turn bet. Really just bet that turn next time ;) As played he could have a Q the same way as he could have A7 in this spot but you've no idea where you're at

better luck next time :tongue:
      This. No reason whatsoever to check back the turn, you're just missing value against a huge chunk of his range. Qx will call you down, 98/54 will call another bet on the turn but won't call anything on the river unless they hit, and they might not bluff at you when they miss either.

So, crystal clear valuebet on the turn, make it around $3.5 and happily shove a blank river. As played the Q river is just about the worse card in the deck for you, folding is fine. Maybe he's bluffing 98/54 there, but against a 20/6/0.8 it's probably not worth trying to catch him red handed.

Hope it helps.