Should i stick to one style of play?

• Asaf92
      Asaf92
      Bronze
      I seem to enjoy both BSS and SNGs.
      They both give me a positive small profit, but i've lost almost 20$ playing SSS ( :P ) so i decided it would be better BRM to play SNGs for a while and not BSS.

Will it hurt my game if i sometimes play SNGs, and when my bankroll increases to combine with BSS?
      Should i stick to only one style of play?
  • 6 replies
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      If you feel comfortable in both of them there is no reason not to mix them up.

But in the beginning of your poker career it may be wise to master one game variant first before trying other ones. It should be more profitable as it's usually better to be very good in fullring cash games for example, than just good or doing ok in both fullring cashgames and SNG's.
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      play wateva you want if you manage to separate both plays cause you can't play in SnG like in cash and vise versa.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      it might be better but i am totally against it in my play
      i play mtts and sngs and cash games full ring both bss and sss and even short handed and heads up and even plo cash games and tourneys + HU and thinking of starting omaha H/L too :D :p
      i think the only thing i dont play is double or nothings
      (i should try out fixed limit)

my thinkin is that if i only play one format i will get bored a little bit eventually
      so i wont give it 100%
      but if i keep switching i will be more focused
      and also when you're on a downswing i would see no way out if i played one format but now when i get bad beats i just switch format and it's like a fresh start...

its dangerous to do this if you're just starting to play it because the strategy in all formats can be very different and i think i know them pretty well...

but anyway you should play whatever you enjoy playing most because thats what will keep you concentrated most and willing to improve

i would say play cash bss if you play micro-stakes cuz sng rake is very high (20% wtf?)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Better to master one than know a bit of everything.
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Generally it's not advisable for beginners to play several styles - of course, if you feel comfortable with it, feel free, but don't risk losing your bankroll over it.
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      you should try both to find out what game is benefit for you