big stack strategy question

• Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      another question i had a look in the articles but couldnt find the answer.

2 scenarios

first, say im CU and i raise with 88, somone minreraises or 3bets, do i fold or call if we both bigstacks?

2nd scenario, say im CU again, JTs, limp in, SB raises to 5 bb, do i call this since i already limped or do i give it up? cheers
  • 7 replies
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      I'm no expert, but I think if you are 3Bet, you should follow the Call20 rule to determine if you should call with PPs.

In the second scenario, it's an easy fold barring any additional information, although there are some spots you can call a raise with SCs.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      First of all what position is CU? Is that between BU and CO?

If I hold a pocket pair a nd get 3bet out of position (meaning I am in position) I call if the 3better is a bigstack. It's even better if his 3bet% is low. You will never get to call20 but since he already 3 bet you can assume he has some kind of a hand and therefore you can expect to stack him more often when you hit. I still want to get to at least say call 11-12 so if he reraises really big I'm not calling.

Never open limp.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LuborC
      First of all what position is CU? Is that between BU and CO?

If I hold a pocket pair a nd get 3bet out of position (meaning I am in position) I call if the 3better is a bigstack. It's even better if his 3bet% is low. You will never get to call20 but since he already 3 bet you can assume he has some kind of a hand and therefore you can expect to stack him more often when you hit. I still want to get to at least say call 11-12 so if he reraises really big I'm not calling.

Never open limp.
      +1
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      yeah sorry i know that i was just trying to create a situation, maybe add to it that there was already one limper, would i be calling or folding there
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Escobario
      yeah sorry i know that i was just trying to create a situation, maybe add to it that there was already one limper, would i be calling or folding there
      and what is CU? I am still intrigued
    • Escobario
      Escobario
      Bronze
      sorry in my mind its cutoff i just been using CU in my notes sorry if that confuseS :D
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      JTs is a speculative hand so you are absolutely fine with calling a raise as long as it represents a strong hand. Which you can say OOP raise usually does. That way you can expect to get payed when you hit.