How to play SSS with 35bb buyin

• delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Since this is obviously happening no matter how much we complain about it, I thought I would try something productive and start a conversation about how shortstackers can play profitably while buying in for 35 big blinds. I think this could be hugely profitable against smug opponents who let their guards down believing that SSS no longer exists.

Any ideas on how SSSers can play profitably with 35bb?
  • 9 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by delete461
      Any ideas on how SSSers can play profitably with 35bb?
      They can't ... that's pretty much the point!

Learn poker or die basically.
    • clydefrog77
      clydefrog77
      Bronze
      Hopefully whatever changes pokerstars make there will be enough shallow tables running there to continue playing SSS. It would be hillarious if the changes resulted in all the fish playing at the shallow tables.
    • rbdflyboy
      rbdflyboy
      Bronze
      A small buy in with a plan is a good place to start. One can get a feel for the table at minimum risk. Weather anyone can get rich with it, that depends on many of factors. I played on sites where I cashed in freerolls. Bits here and there, get enough to play sng's and .01/.02. I still use SSS on sites where they give free money to play with. Its not much money, $10 or less. I managed to double one and now alternate my buy in depending on the table. So I think it has its place in the game. For myself the pros outweigh the cons.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      I am considering moving part of my bankroll to full tilt to try this, I think the perceived death of sss there will cause major changes in attitude of big stackers who now view anyone with 35bb as a fish.

Undoubtedly basic sss cannot be played with 35 bb. But advanced players using equity and handranges to make their decisions shouldnt have to change that much.

We can open with the same hands, and if we have an equity advantage against an openraisers range we still 3-bet. 3-betting now doesnt automatically commit us to the point of shoving though, this is the biggest difference - when we 3-bet with 35bb it is our opponents, not us, who have the decision to put us allin or not. Therefore we need to add an extra element to preflop play to counter this.

Blindsteals and resteals dont really change, we use the same ranges to calculate if it is profitable or not. Again the only difference is that a resteal doenst mean autoshove, we can raise/fold when we get caught.

We should also consider limping in late with speculative hands more often since we have more implied odds

On the flop our decisions become more difficult and more important, but if we already use AF, c-bet, fold v c-bet and WTSD stats we dont need to change much.

We also have autorebuy turned off, if we get no hands then our stack dwindles to ~20bb giving us a huge advantage of always being the only genuine sss player on the tables.

Hopefull an sss coach or more experienced player can add something here
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      buy in with 35, loose 15 and you're in the game !!
    • rbdflyboy
      rbdflyboy
      Bronze
      I find sss can work well in the micro limits to build up a bankroll. For me its about patience and timing. I use the auto rebuy to top up, when my blinds go down, and limit my time at the table to three rounds. Everyone knows I'm gonna play super tight and if at all possible I sit to the left of the big stacks. My goal is to double up and leave. If the cards don't come in three rounds I leave and search for another table.
      Most players at the micro limts don't really have a plan, most are there to try out the site, have some fun and win some money. It's the big stacks to watch out for cause they are there to crush everyone else. That's where sitting to their left gives the advantage.
      No plan is perfect and foolproof, I think sss is better than no plan at all It may not make me rich, but, I'll be back nxt time
    • SoWe
      SoWe
      Global
      Originally posted by rbdflyboy
      I find sss can work well in the micro limits to build up a bankroll. For me its about patience and timing. I use the auto rebuy to top up, when my blinds go down, and limit my time at the table to three rounds. Everyone knows I'm gonna play super tight and if at all possible I sit to the left of the big stacks. My goal is to double up and leave. If the cards don't come in three rounds I leave and search for another table.
      Most players at the micro limts don't really have a plan, most are there to try out the site, have some fun and win some money. It's the big stacks to watch out for cause they are there to crush everyone else. That's where sitting to their left gives the advantage.
      No plan is perfect and foolproof, I think sss is better than no plan at all It may not make me rich, but, I'll be back nxt time
      cool story, bro
    • gedja
      gedja
      Bronze
      I am playing with 30 big blinds on Ipoker and i am having profit, i was playing standard SSS when this month they change theyr buy in, i had bought hands and have a minimum rakeback ammount to get.

The strongest of SSS is still stealing blinds vs tight grinders and being agressive pos flop to make nits folding 2nd par or at least never try crazy bluffs or floatings.
    • FishDan11
      FishDan11
      Bronze
      ;( I will miss the SSS at the low limits...