$3.90
      MP3:
      $6.90
      CO:
      $11.75
      BU:
      $32.71

Preflop: Hero is BB with A, K.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.30, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.6) 9, 4, K (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, MP1 calls $0.40.

Turn: ($1.4) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, MP1 calls $0.90.

River: ($3.2) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, MP1 raises to $7.00, Hero calls $5.00.

Final Pot: $17.2.
  • 4 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm check/calling the flop except against the most passive players, against whom donking out is fine.

As played on the river if he's not a spazz we're up against AA/KK/AK/99, possibly A9, rarely 4x, never a bluff. Calling for a split sucks too, I'd fold it but i don't think calling is horrible per se at nl10 you never know.

Hope it helps.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      Results follow:

MP1 shows a full-house, nines full of fours(9 9).
      Hero shows two pairs, aces and kings(A K).

MP1 wins with a full-house, nines full of fours(9 9).

hi coach, so how should i play out this hand? call down all the way to river? what if opponent checks behind on the flop or turn? does the dryness of the flop determine the line of play, e.g. if flush draw board we should bet instead?

thanks coach for your advice
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Provided he's at all aggressive, I'm check/calling the flop because it's hard for him to actually have a hand on K9xr. Which means he will have nothing very often, and when people have nothing on dry boards they make a continuation bet. If the board was drawy, first he'd have less air and more drawing hands to call a bet with, and second he wouldn't be as likely to make a continuation bet as a bluff, so leading out for value would likely become a better play. As it is I'd rather let him c-bet all his air instead of forcing him to call. From there it depends how aggressive/good your opponent is.

The better he is at valuebetting or the more inclined he is to bluff at me, the more I'd just check/call again since he'll bet Kx for me anyway, and he might bet air again too. I don't expect people to fire 3 barrels as a bluff very often tho, most of them will end up check a worse Kx behind on the river, so i think the play at microstakes is to lead out on the river regardless of whether they bet or checked back the turn.

On the other hand, if you opponent is usually an adept of pot control or just very passive overall, you're probably better off leading out the turn already (or even leading the flop to begin with against very passive players) because they won't bluff into you as much and they will check behind top pair hands even tho they shouldn't.

Hope it helps.
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      thank you!