[NL2-NL10] NL5: Valuebet river on dangerous board (2 hands)

• Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      #1:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $5,63
      UTG+1:
      $3,66
      BB:
      $5

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6:diamond: , 6:heart:
      UTG+1 calls $0,04, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0,04, Hero calls $0,04, 4 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,18) 9:club: , 8:club: , 6:club: (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG+1 bets $0,04, MP1 calls $0,04, Hero raises to $0,30, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $0,26, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($0,82) K:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0,80, UTG+1 calls $0,80.

River: ($2,42) 7:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Is it okay just to check behind for a free showdown? The table had been very loose/passive postflop, and he could easily have flopped a monster, and just letting me build the pot.

Final Pot: $2,42

#2:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)      
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG+1:
      $1,79
      Hero:
      $5,45
      MP1:
      $4,37

0,02/0,04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:diamond: , Q:diamond: . MP1 posts a blind of $0,04.
      UTG+1 calls $0,04, UTG+2 folds, MP1 checks, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,04, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0,18) Q:club: , K:heart: , J:club: (3 players)
      UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,14, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0,14.

Turn: ($0,46) 5:club: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero bets $0,35, MP1 calls $0,35.

River: ($1,16) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Same as the last hand applies her (was a great night at the tables, everybody was so passive all the way through)

Final Pot: $1,16
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Mugge88!

If you have a read that your opponents are passive calling stations on every street you can make value bets even on the river. If they raise you, you have an easy fold, but against calling stations it's more profitable to make a valuebet because they even call you down with middle pair or worse hands. I recommend you to become a gold member because we have a nice strategy article which deals with calling stations: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/205/ :D

Against unknown check/behind on the river in both hands is the correct play.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      You have any idea how many hours/day I'm gonna have to play to get gold status? :P

With 3½ hours a day I can make 25 SP's 4-tabling NL5.. So if I play every day in a month I'm gonna have to play between 3½-4 hours... that's ALOT to me.. So it will take a while for me to get gold status.. perhabs when/if I get the roll for NL25 or NL50..

Anyway, regarding the hands I wouldn't categorise the players as callingstations.. True, they were quite passive, and they didn't consider their odds when drawing, but still they didn't call down with trash hands such as middle pair or A-high. Actually I'm quite proud of myself in these hands, I'm getting to know the subject pot-control better, and didn't loose as much in these hands as I would have done a week ago (I think).
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      If they weren't calling stations check/behind on the river is the correct play as I already mentioned.
      Nice to hear that you improved your game. Keep going! I'm convinced that you will reach Gold status faster than you think :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81