ICM and other Poker programs with 256RAM?

• Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      My previous computer on which I intended to use for poker is broken. The one I'm using is completely outdated and often crashes when running the ICM (yeah, seriously). I'm shopping for a new, temporary, computer and I was wondering if 2+ Ghz and 256RAM is enough to run smoothly ICM and Poker programs? I looked at the specs for partypoker, and that is 256RAM. However, the specs for the ICM say 512RAM. Can anyone confirm whether the ICM is smooth on just 256RAM?

P.S If you don't know how much RAM you have, go to Start > Run > Type "dxdiag" > OK > Look where it says "Memory" and it will show you your RAM.

I need clarification urgently please.
  • 20 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Why would you buy a computer with 256 MB RAM at all? 1 GB is like 20$ or something...
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LuborC
      Why would you buy a computer with 256 MB RAM at all? 1 GB is like 20$ or something...
      I seek only a temporary replacement, and I am currently on a strict budget. I am not very tech-knowledgable, but you make it sound like 256 RAM is something horrible. Is it?
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      ICM calculators use alot of processing power and ram so I would say dont do it.

I dont see how any computer can run modern programs with 256mb of ram.

My computer constantly uses 2.5gb in everyday situations.
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      OK, thanks.

EDIT: What about 512MB? Would that be suitable?
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      hey Fiszy

I see you've already received an advice :)

However, if you're on a budget and looking for a laptop(or a PC?) to buy, dont rush. And since you're not really a computer person, I think here are people who could help to pick the best value for your money.

Tell us a bit on what you expect to do with that computer. Is it going to be for poker-only? If you're not going to play any latest games you definitely dont need a very powerful machine, but you should know that some poker platforms are quite thirsty for PC-resources as well..

It ALSO depends on which Operating System you're going to use. If to stick with Windows XP then you definitely will not be using 2.5GB ram to play poker, but I'd say 1GB should be the bottom-line.

Now, if you're truly counting every second $ or something, 512MB should do the trick as well, but I honestly would not recommend going that low... However - RAM is something what you can always upgrade easily, though. So it might be O.K. to opt-in for a cheap computer with some 512MB RAM or so with intentions to upgrade it later on, when your budget loosens up a bit.

If you could tell us where you live, what are the places available for you to buy a laptop (used computers store, friends, internet listings, ebay etc), and how much you're able to spend, maybe we could assist you a bit by pointing to the right direction.
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrEnig
      hey Fiszy

I see you've already received an advice :)

However, if you're on a budget and looking for a laptop(or a PC?) to buy, dont rush. And since you're not really a computer person, I think here are people who could help to pick the best value for your money.

Tell us a bit on what you expect to do with that computer. Is it going to be for poker-only? If you're not going to play any latest games you definitely dont need a very powerful machine, but you should know that some poker platforms are quite thirsty for PC-resources as well..

It ALSO depends on which Operating System you're going to use. If to stick with Windows XP then you definitely will not be using 2.5GB ram to play poker, but I'd say 1GB should be the bottom-line.

Now, if you're truly counting every second $ or something, 512MB should do the trick as well, but I honestly would not recommend going that low... However - RAM is something what you can always upgrade easily, though. So it might be O.K. to opt-in for a cheap computer with some 512MB RAM or so with intentions to upgrade it later on, when your budget loosens up a bit.

If you could tell us where you live, what are the places available for you to buy a laptop (used computers store, friends, internet listings, ebay etc), and how much you're able to spend, maybe we could assist you a bit by pointing to the right direction.
      My intention with another laptop/PC is to simply IM, browse the internet, manage files, do essays, etc. All very basic stuff. I can do that already (albeit slowly) but the real need comes in with poker. Current computer is unable to use ICM, and thus useless for poker. I only need something that can do all of the basic tasks plus run poker software smoothly (I wouldn't want to crash in the middle of a game). That is all I would want of a computer at the moment.

I live in the United Kingdom, in North East England. My travel sphere is from Middlebrough to Newcastle, but no further. My budget is 65 GBP at the very, very most.

I currently have my sights set on a cheap shuttle PC 1700MHZ, XP, 512 RAM. The RAM seems iffy, but it is the best available, and I can probably upgrade to 1GB at some point if I need it.
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      Alright.. for that price you definitely do not want to buy a laptop.

The one you have your eyes on - what kind of processor does it have? If it's not a duo, then there are better alternatives for sure.

do you have a PC monitor, or you need to buy it as well? And I mean the TFT or LCD - the slim thing. You DO NOT want to use a CRT (the glass tube thing, like old TV's), if you value your eyes at lest one bit.
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      I don't know the processor unfortunately, but I will find out soon. I do have a flat screen monitor at my disposal.

EDIT: I will soon have the aforementioned computer, and I will update with spec and compatability analysis when I can.
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      so you decided on getting it already. Well I hope it will live up to your expectations!

I had an eye on couple of machines listed at ebay.co.uk just for you but it does not matter anymore I suppose.

Waiting for the evaluation of the purchase of yours :) /fingers crossed/
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      I have been all over eBay, and there are many machines that would be perfect. However, the bidding can get really intense, and often the machines that initially appeared cheap would shoot out of my budget range before even a day of the bid ending. eBay buyers can be quite impulsive which only serves to drive up the starting price unnecessarily for the (un)fortunate person who wins the bid :(
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      £65 are you serious?????
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      just sort out the list for "Buy it NOW" listings
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fiszy
      eBay buyers can be quite impulsive which only serves to drive up the starting price unnecessarily for the (un)fortunate person who wins the bid :(
      Economically speaking the end price is going to be extremely close to the fair price of the hardware. Obviously you need to be looking at spending at least £300 if you want anything remotely useful for playing poker.
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      eBay buyers can be quite impulsive which only serves to drive up the starting price unnecessarily for the (un)fortunate person who wins the bid :(
      Economically speaking the end price is going to be extremely close to the fair price of the hardware. Obviously you need to be looking at spending at least £300 if you want anything remotely useful for playing poker.
      That's not so. My old laptop is many years old, and is worth about 50€ by now. It handled ICM and poker programs with lightning speed, not to mention many semi-modern games which it was technically incapable of playing. All for an easy 50-70€. I've no doubt that in the short-term, a fairly common and cheap computer can handle at least some poker programs without much trouble. ICM is no Crysis after all...
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Speaking of economics.. well it's quite true. But I always remember words of my Economics Professor - "If you bought something at an auction - your are the biggest idiot. An IDIOT!! Because you paid so much, that no one else was willing to pay". :)

And no, Fiszy does not need a uber-fast 24-tabling machine just yet. He's new to poker so playing one or two tables at a time is what he needs the computer for. Just about any machine that can run WinXP without coughing bits and bytes, will run a table or two as well. And if this little endeavor will prove itself, the "limited budget of 65 quid for a PC" wont be on the news anymore :)

Still waiting for the evaluation of your new PC, Fiszy. As I've got a feeling that we might need to do some minor tuning-up of your WinXP there.
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      "P.S If you don't know how much RAM you have, go to Start > Run > Type "dxdiag" > OK > Look where it says "Memory" and it will show you your RAM"

how much 2044MB ram cost?
    • Fiszy
      Fiszy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrEnigAnd no, Fiszy does not need a uber-fast 24-tabling machine just yet. He's new to poker so playing one or two tables at a time is what he needs the computer for. Just about any machine that can run WinXP without coughing bits and bytes, will run a table or two as well. And if this little endeavor will prove itself, the "limited budget of 65 quid for a PC" wont be on the news anymore :)
      Precisely :s_biggrin: Though what mean you by "One or two tables at a time" ? Do people often play several at a time?

Originally posted by MrEnigStill waiting for the evaluation of your new PC, Fiszy. As I've got a feeling that we might need to do some minor tuning-up of your WinXP there.
      It'll be a week yet before I get a hold of it. I've already researched extra RAM if I need it, but my friend assures me that 512MB is more than enough. Since I got it for cheap, I'll have plenty of budget left if it needs minor upgrades.
    • Meiffert
      Meiffert
      Bronze
      Though what mean you by "One or two tables at a time" ? Do people often play several at a time?

:P
    • MrEnig
      MrEnig
      Bronze
      Though what mean you by "One or two tables at a time" ? Do people often play several at a time?
      The more you play, the more you get used to it. So within time just about everyone starts adding more tables to play. You can multiple your hourly winnings (losses?;) ) quite a few times with that. It also helps for hand-selection a bit, because the more table you play, the less temptation there is to play marginal starting cards, which linevitably leads to marginal decisions after the flop comes.

Of course not everyone can do 51 tables as shown in the video, but you will find yourself comfortable with playing 2, then 4, then 6 tables at a time.. then even more! You'll see :)