Sick sick sick :(

• robpettitt
      robpettitt
      Bronze
      Just had to post something. I am really really annoyed now.

By way of background I have been a successful player at NL10 and quickly moved up to the BR to allow me to move to NL25. That's where the problems have started. I just simply can't seem to win, and when I analyse my play it is one sick beat after another. I am talking 20K hands downswing.

I go back under my BR level, drop down to NL 10, grind it back up (sometimes with a tourney cash as well) but whenever I try NL25 again I just run into the same thing.

I am posting this hand which was the final hand from my session today. I end up screaming at the computer "what the #### have I got to do to win!!!!!". I actually manage tilt quite well because I just log out when this happens or I lose a set number of BI's.

I'm not sure what I am looking for here. I know about variance and that if I really am playing well it will come round, but it just seems every time at the moment.

This is the one that did it for me. As you can see I had had a fairly nice session on this table up to this hand, up to $43.92 from $25, then BANG!

Thanks for reading :(

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BB:
      $33.85
      UTG1:
      $20.26
      UTG2 (Hero):
      $43.92
      MP1:
      $24.17
      MP2:
      $27.93
      MP3:
      $10.00
      CO:
      $25.37
      BU:
      $24.75
      SB:
      $29.95

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with Q, Q.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $1.00, MP1 calls $1.00, 2 folds, CO calls $1.00, 2 folds, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($4.1) K, 6, Q (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $3.00, MP1 raises to $6.00, CO folds, BB folds, Hero raises to $42.92, MP1 calls $17.17(All-In).

Turn: ($70.19) 3 (2 players)

River: ($70.19) 2 (2 players)

Final Pot: $70.19.
      Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, queens(Q Q).
      MP1 shows a flush, king high(8 K).

MP1 wins with a flush, king high(8 K).
  • 20 replies
    • Gafny
      Gafny
      Bronze
      why be upset over a hand played perfectly?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Hard to feel happy about losing your dinner
    • juodalksnis
      juodalksnis
      Bronze
      Well, he had only 4% chance to win so yeah dude, that's really sick.
    • robpettitt
      robpettitt
      Bronze
      Yeh thanks guys, appreciate the thoughts.

Anyway I am thinking of turning this into a blog to help me work through this long term downswing by posting the sickest hand from a session. You know, get it o my chest, problem shared is a problem halved, that kind of thing? I might even try and make it amusing.

I was thinking of a title "What did I scream at my pc today - the diary of a bipolar tilter". Or something.

So today I screamed something like "you @@@@ing ish, I knew you made a bad call pre flop, on the flop and on the turn with your sh@@@y Ace and then you try and check raise me on the river when it hits. Knob. At least you got no more out of me when you hit your 3 outer, you idiot."

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $9.28
      MP1:
      $34.73
      MP2:
      $10.75
      MP3:
      $3.95
      CO (Hero):
      $12.03
      BU:
      $10.76
      SB:
      $4.58
      BB:
      $16.76
      UTG1:
      $13.33

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, K.
      UTG1 raises to $0.30, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.70, 3 folds, UTG1 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.55) 9, 6, 8 (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $0.80, UTG1 calls $0.80.

Turn: ($3.15) Q (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $1.80, UTG1 calls $1.80.

River: ($6.75) A (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $6.75.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(K K).
      UTG1 shows a pair of aces(T A).

UTG1 wins with a pair of aces(T A).

Other hands that made me scream at my pc today were AA (of course) got called by 34o to a 4bb raise. Flop 542 rainbow. At least he was short :(

One I didn't lose but still screamed. My AK v AJ. Flop AK8. Turn 8. River 8. FFS :(
    • SuperHandz
      SuperHandz
      Bronze
      an amusing read. just finished a nightmare session just when everything was going good. makes me feel a lil better knowing it happens to everyone..
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hi robpettitt,

I don't have much experience on cash games, but if you are beating NL10 easily then I don't see why you can't on NL25. There are better players at NL25, but there are still many bad players you can exploit. Just pick your opponents wisely!

Make sure you study regularly so you can keep your game on top form. Post hands to see if you are playing well. And review your game to see if you have allowed in any leaks.

I'm glad to hear you are starting a blog! Blogging is a great idea as you can keep track of how your game is going. It's a place to voice all your thoughts n aspirations, plus it's always nice to get feedback from other PS members. Would you like me to move this thread to the Blogs section for you?

I hope you manage to turnaround your start at NL25, best of luck to you.

Regards,
      Sarah
    • robpettitt
      robpettitt
      Bronze
      Thanks for that.

No I think I will start a fresh blog on my attempts to start beating NL25, actually I have had a couple of smallish winning sessions and when I review my past attempts I think I just went through a sick downswing that coincided with my move up to NL25.

Have started posting hands for review and that is great, I tend to pick the trickiest hand of a session or one where I lost big. Also reviewing videos/strategy documents as well.

Really appreciate all the help here at PS, it has really improved my game :)
    • i1nt2b3
      i1nt2b3
      Bronze
      same shit happened to me

from 0.78 cents i grinded up to 480$ and just moved up to NL25
      shit happened like you:
      3 fullhouse vs fullhouse
      1 fullhouse vs straightflush
      3 sets get beaten by straight on the turn
      4 set over set
      3 KK vs A rag preflop
      3 nutflushes vs fullhouse on the river

in a span of first 4k hands

move down instantly
      its written in the program - you dont deserve to move up yet, becouse
      you havent generated enough rake. and this shit happens all the time
      on all sites. it has nothing to do with your ability of play or the players being
      better there - it is the rigg and the greed of the scam.
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      move down instantly
      on all sites. it has nothing to do with your ability of play or the players being
      So you can't move up to generate more rake more quickly because you didn't generate enough rake?
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LudiCoka
      move down instantly
      So you can't move up to generate more rake more quickly because you didn't generate enough rake?
      don't question people as smart as him
    • cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      I have a question about the first hand (QQ)

If, when playing deep stacked, it´s more important to keep the pot under control than to protect your hand, would it be totally wrong to just call the reraise and see the turn, in this case?

:s_o:
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cauelaratta
      I have a question about the first hand (QQ)

If, when playing deep stacked, it´s more important to keep the pot under control than to protect your hand, would it be totally wrong to just call the reraise and see the turn, in this case?

:s_o:
      He has mid set, the only hand that beats him is KK and given the preflop action it's highly unlikely that his opponent ever has such hand, why the f would he go for pot control??? And also they are not deep stacked even if hey were, that's an easy stack off.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Also:
    • LudiCoka
      LudiCoka
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Also:
      Hi,

could you please explain wtf is that??
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Also:
      Hi,

It's obvs dog rape!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Also:
      Hi,

That is my child
    • cauelaratta
      cauelaratta
      Bronze
      Of course his opponent doesn´t have KK, but the table allows a flush draw.

Suppose villain is holding A-small of spades and is reraising as a semi-bluff.

In Scenario 1, they go all-in. Villain has 8 outs and roughly 50% chance of hitting the flush, while Hero has 7-10 outs to hit quads or a full house, and all other outs would give Hero the victory (please correct me if I´m wrong). Putting everything together, Hero has a 75% chance of winning at this moment.

In Scenario 2, Hero calls and a spade (25% chance) comes on the turn. Now things are inverted: Villain has 77% chance of winning vs Hero´s 22%.

By just calling, Hero has a 75% chance of not seeing any spade on the turn, and therefore make a safer choice. In other words, he has a 25% of saving his entire stack. But, in the other hand, he´s not forcing Villain´s tough decision, which is crucial to win his whole stack.

So my question is: is it worth to risk his entire pot at this moment? Also, if Villain had a stack just as large as his, would that answer change?

I would say that he took the right decision, based on what I wrote above, but maybe I´m wrong, so I´d like to hear you guys opinion. You know, since you´re all so "pro".
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      In Scenario 1, they go all-in. Villain has 8 outs and roughly 50% chance of hitting the flush, while Hero has 7-10 outs to hit quads or a full house, and all other outs would give Hero the victory (please correct me if I´m wrong). Putting everything together, Hero has a 75% chance of winning at this moment.

[/quote]it's an easy all-in
      villain never has close to 50%
      if he don't have KK (and ofcourse not with that preflop action), the best case is he has JT spade which offer both FD and SD. In this case, villain has 42% to win the pot
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by i1nt2b3
      :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:

Are you sure you're not retarded? There is a huge flow in you logic:
      On the higher limit you'd make even more rake for the poker room, amirite? So by not letting you play higher limit they are cutting their winnings. But you must know that so I am sure there's much more in not letting you move up.