[NL2-NL10] nl4 SH - BU vs. CO, call with AJs?

• BattleHunter
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (5 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($3.87)
      UTG ($2.15)
      MP ($4.40)
      Hero (Button) ($9.49)
      SB ($1.89)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, J
      1 fold, MP bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.34) 6, 3, 4 (2 players)
      MP bets $0.24, Hero calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.82) 3 (2 players)
      MP bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55

River: ($1.92) 9 (2 players)
      MP bets $1.20, Hero raises to $8.56 (All-In), 1 fold

Total pot: $4.32 | Rake: $0.28

Main concern here is preflop and a bit of the river play.

The thing is that I have an extremely difficult time playing AQ, AJ and AT of any kind preflop when facing an open raise before me. I NEVER have a plan about my hand when going in with it, the best I can come up with is play pot control on many A boards and occasionally playing TPTKs aggressively if I feel safe.

Anyway, here I decide to call (don't ask for a reason, best one I had is that i'm in position). Now the flop comes pretty good for me, giving all sorts of low cards that are hard for the PFR to hit, (unless with some weak 1 pair stuff that I have many outs against) so I let him cbet and just call with my 2 overcards and FD.

The turn isn't perfect as it pairs the board, but it did give me the nut flush and unless villain had a pocket pair that made a set on the flop I was feeling pretty good about my hand.
      Reasoning for Turn call is that if I raise here, my hand is pretty much an open book, as I would have raised the flop with a set to protect it from all the flush/straight draws possible.

Now river is kind of strange. After his bet, pot gets to $3,10 and he has like $2 behind, meaning that anything but a minraise stacks him. I hit the AI button as in cake fishes often AI with with bluffs, so I was hoping that he found out the same read, making my AI seem weaker than an actual raise (on the other hand, minraise always = nuts :f_p: )

Sorry for the long post :f_mad:

Essential: How to play preflop? Villain is a bit fishy, seen him go broke with TP no kicker in a spot where it made no sense, also seen him chase some 8+ outers 2 streets, giving up on the river if he doesn't hit.

After the hand he tells me he folded J high flush (obv a lie)
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'd 3-bet AJs for pure value in position against a seemingly fishy villain, he'll call with a lot worse and our edge is enormous, plus if he 4-bets we can be pretty confident we're no good unless he's some kind of preflop monkey fish. Calling is obviously fine as well, but less optimal in my opinion.

Flop call is fine, we're not really afraid of big cards on the turn or anything since we have two pretty good ones ourselves, and if he's bluffing usually he'll check/fold the turn to us. You can take the higher variance line of raise/shoving if you think there is a chance you can get him off some pairs, but i doubt it on that flop, so that would be more of a pot building raise to stack him in case we hit.

As played I would still raise the turn. You're giving him too much credit in my opinion. While it's true most people will suspect you made the flush at that point, that doesn't mean they won't peel a smallish raise with an overpair, especially if they have a biggish club that they're actually 4-outing with. Something like $1.3 looks fine. When they hit the river they're usually not folding because of pot odds, and they might even jam Q/K high flushes themselves because you might check back a lower flush.

As played river is fine. It's possible he folded the J-high flush, it's a bluff-catcher.
      Make a note he looks like someone who's proud of making big folds, and look to exploit that by bluffing in spots where you can represent the nuts.

Hope it helps.