[NL2-NL10] nl4 SH - JJ, 1 overcard flop vs. big fish

• BattleHunter
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (6 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($1.26)
      Button ($0.94)
      SB ($4.84)
      Hero (BB) ($5.87)
      UTG ($8.13)
      MP ($13.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J, J
      UTG calls $0.04, MP bets $0.16, 1 fold, Button raises to $0.41, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.37, UTG raises to $0.66, 1 fold, Button calls $0.53 (All-In), Hero calls $0.25, UTG calls $0

Flop: ($2.44) 3, 10, A (3 players, 1 all-in)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $3, Hero folds

Turn: ($2.44) 2 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: ($2.44) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $2.44

I feel really bad for not going AI here for 2 reasons, but I was too scared at the time to actually pull the trigger.

1) UTG is UBER FISH. Dunno if you've ever encountered that kind of fish, but for one I haven't... till now

Quote from another hand I posted on same table
      BB was my initial target here. I've played like 10 mins on this table and BB was sitting there sucking out on everyone with the weirdest fish style I've ever seen - He was aggressive, but only with bets, he would never raise (post flop that is). He could 3barrel with 2/3 to pot bets with bottom pair+ and he was capable of calling every gutshot+ draw.

So my JJ hand was pretty strong here, but ofc with all A2+ hands being in his preflop range, I felt like it's not the time and opted for a fold.

Obviously I had to be ready for such turn of events, since my calling preflop makes no sense unless I'm ready for a situation with 1 overcard to my hand, but I just.. dunno.. was too scared to actually play for stacks with him (and it would have surely be for stacks).

Could I pull the trigger and go broke on that flop against a fish that probably has more than 50% vpip (sry, no stats available in cake)?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Just cold 4-bet preflop. UTG is a huge fish with 160bb, if MP is any competent he' isoraise there with a super wide range since he has him covered in position. BU is some random shortstack who's 3-betting BUvsHJ, you'll probably in good shape with JJ regardless of whether he's a fish or a shortstacker.

I agree there is some merit to keeping UTG in the pot by flatting, but really at best you'll see a 4-way pot with JJ out of position with 140bb stacks, be in trouble with any overcard because of the aggressive fish who has position on you and everything. At worse UTG/MP/BU will 4-bet and you'll be trapped with dead money and a whale in the pot with no clue what to do really. It'd suck.

As played postflop hard to say without having seen an overbet from him before. I'd probably still fold because it's true he's more likely to go nuts like that preflop with Ax (unless you think he'd have raised those himself to begin with) and we're slightly deep. For a potsize bet with 100bb it'd be a lot closer and i wouldn't mind calling it off.

Hope it helps.