[NL2-NL10] nl4 FR - SB vs. limped BU

• BattleHunter
      BattleHunter
      Coach
      Coach
      Cake Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (9 handed) - Cake-Poker Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP2 ($12.58)
      MP3 ($4.21)
      CO ($0.73)
      Button ($1.61)
      Hero (SB) ($3.96)
      BB ($5.16)
      UTG ($5.10)
      UTG+1 ($4.16)
      MP1 ($6.96)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3, A
      6 folds, Button calls $0.04, Hero bets $0.16, 1 fold, Button calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.36) A, 8, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, Button calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.84) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.84, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.84 | Rake: $0.05

I decide to isolate the BU, since I feel his range is quite bad for limping there. Cbet is standard, hitting the top pair and he calls me. I put him either on a very weak ace (but probably better than mine) or on some of the lower cards (8x or 9x which was more probable, since I see him open raising most Ax hands).

Now turn is both good and bad for me. Now as the board pairs, I'm even against all weak aces (at least A7-) and even have good chances for some big card hitting river to make it a split against the better aces.

The bad thing is that the majority of the range I put him on, includes a 9.

I feel a 2nd barrel (I'd make it around 0,56) was the way to go here, so if he raises me I find an easy fold, and if he calls me I can check the river and call any reasonable bet, or even place a bloking bet my self.
      For some reason I felt beat on the turn and folded, but was it the correct play against unknown villain?

Also can I get away in such a spot with only a 4bb isolation (reason being that instead of the usual 2 or even 3 players between me and my target, right now there is only the BB)? For some reason I prefer to play for a bit smaller pots and look for all possible spots to make my opens smaller.
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      Preflop: Fold. A3o is a rly bad hand + you have positional disadvantage.

Turn: Player dependent. C/f a large bet vs passive villian. If villian is agressive, I would almost always check/call and then call the river. I feel that AT+ would have raised preflop, so his range will be nuts, stuff like 76, TJ, or pure floats.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

The whole hand depends on what you think of BU. While in a vacuum it should be profitable to isoraise any Ax hand against passive limpers that play fit-or-fold postflop even out of position, you'll still get into a lot of trouble against limpers that can be aggressive when checked to or that just barely ever fold anything postflop. Depends what risks you're willing to take based on your reads.

I'm fine with making it 4x since we're not that confident in our equity/positional edges.

As played flop is fine, and turn is okay if he's rather passive. If he's aggressive i don't mind check/calling the turn and reevaluating on the river.

Hope it helps.