JJ call20 postflop

• akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      Guys, if I call a raise from position with 20 times effective stack, that doesnt mean I'm going for sets, right?

What is the correct play on a flop with 3 low cards?

a) if he checks I guess I bet

b) but if he check-raises?

c) If he bets before me? which is pretty likely since he is the agressor.

Thanks for your ideas and opinions, guys!
  • 5 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      LIke with most over cards value bet but try to keep the pot low :)

paradoxal but true.

you need to balance in a way that you protect your hand, bet for value a( that is you have placed your oponent on range that you beat) and keeping the pot low in case youare already beat.

If the flop is not dangerous it might be be good to check to induce a bluff however you risk your oponent getting one of his out for free.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      "If the flop is not dangerous it might be be good to check to induce a bluff however you risk your oponent getting one of his out for free. "

I wouldn't risk giving him an out with cards like JJ. :P

Lets assume that he contbets, and I simply call it - I would be in a very difficult situation with any overcard on the turn. In many cases he will continue agression... actually I will be in a difficult position in most cases.

Yea well thats the bad thing about JJ. Its a pretty good hand but hard decisions must be made with it quite often...

Thanks for the opinion/advice.
    • fulja
      fulja
      Bronze
      There are 3 ways to play JJ and they are all wrong. :D
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fulja
      There are 3 ways to play JJ and they are all wrong. :D
      +1
    • dicekeyrollz
      dicekeyrollz
      Bronze
      If he bets it's a must raise, one, to find out where you're at with the hand, and two, to get value from Ace high's that didn't hit. If he 3-bets, you gotta use your read to decide what range of hands he 3-bets on, And whether his skill level is high enough to pull off such a stunt.

Calling with JJ on a rag flop is way too dangerous and sets your opponent up for an easy 2nd barrel.