Swiss attempts to win at Rush poker!

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hello all,
      In a desperate quest for self-motivation and attention-whoring, I've decided to blog again -- this time in the forums, rather than RaisyDaisy, for various reasons.

For those who don't know me, I need no introduction. For the others: Hi, my name is Craig and I'm from Switzerland. I used to coach here and on the French community (NL SH Silver with Hasenbraten, and NLSH Gold, respectively). I was also a hand judge for a while on both forums, and I mostly played NL200 (and occasionally higher) on Party Poker, up until last autumn.

Now, I'm back to microstakes, playing mostly NL50 on a network that I cannot name for fear of being censored. I'm also starting to switch to a partner site, so I can be tracked on PS again.

"Why the degradingly low limits?" You may ask. Well, back in November, I had to cash out almost all my moniez to pay for this ski season. Thus I was left with just a 500$ or so bankroll, and after being fed up of grinding NL25 for pennies, I ended up getting staked for NL50+ by a friend of mine.

To spice things up a little, I set myself a goal of 75k hands between March 10th and April 15th. This, along with the blog, will hopefully be enough to motivate me to actually put in the hours required to make some real money, and get back to my usual limits as soon as possible.

Predictably, as soon as I started this little challenge, I got doomswitched. I've almost recovered though, and I'm more or less on pace with just under 15k hands played so far.

Anyway, I'll try to update graphs and such regularly, and perhaps include the occasional random thoughts and whatnot. I was going to post interesting hands too, but everytime I set out to do that, I end up just looking and them and thinking "meh, this isn't *that* interesting, can't be bothered to post it" -- so no promises about poker-related content in here.

For now, that is all. I'll update again at the latest when I hit 20k hands, or break even. Laters!
  • 111 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Giraffe so far:

That last down is from a short test-session of NL20eur
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      So you are in the USFA or .ch Swisserland?

Heyho welcome back aboard, RaisyDaisy is abit dead imo :(
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      cool graph bro
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      nice to see you back Craig! What about some pics from Jackson Hole?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      So you are in the USFA or .ch Swisserland?

Heyho welcome back aboard, RaisyDaisy is abit dead imo :(
      Yeah, raisydaisy was never very active, just like the others from the blog section... you just don't post as much when it's an actual blog rather than a simple forum post, I guess. This way I'll hopefully get more feedback and post more :)

Originally posted by ihufa
      cool graph bro
      ty :f_love:
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Nice!
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      nice to see you back Craig! What about some pics from Jackson Hole?
      thanks! I actually just looked through my pictures and realised I didn't take a single good one all season :D I'll try to find some good ones and upload them soon.

However, in the meantime, I do have pictures from British Columbia! I was there for a week, end of February to do some ski touring with my brother and 2 friends. The scenery was just beautiful (not to mention the powder :P ).. actually I think I'll post a pic every once in a while to pretty-fy this thread a little.

(I'm the orange dot in the middle)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      argh, should've known that posting a graph so close to breakeven would doomswitch me. I lost 135eur at NL20. KK is my biggest losing hand, AA is breakeven, and AK-AQ are losing. meh.
      The most annoying thing though, is that I'm prone to tilt again. Ironically, I had stopped tilting when I got my biggest downswing ever (almost 40BI, 8000$), over a year ago. I just thought "hey, it's just money. I've made this much, I can make more". But now, I lose 200 bucks and it's the end of the world.
      I really hope I can get over tilt, cause it's costing me a lot of money both directly, through bad plays, and indirectly through opportunity cost, since I usually have to quit for several hours after tilting. I think that once I have a big enough bankroll not to be affected by the swings (e.g 50-100 BI), I should be ok.. but I wonder if there's another way to just not tilt? (any ideas are welcome here)

On the other hand, one nice thing about the new site is that I'm losing a lot less at non-sd (almost breaking even), which should make breakeven/losing stretches a bit easier to deal with. And the more aggressive the games are, the more interesting they are

Anyway, here's the garph:

Now I'm going to have a pizza, watch a movie and hopefully play another thousand hands or so later on.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      You're probably not tilting here because of getting sucked out, you're tilting because you think you're way too good for this level and should be crushing it :f_p: Just being mindful of that fact should help you a bit.
      Then you need to get off of this conscious or subconscious feeling that you're better than this game (I know I have problems playing my A-game when making a NL10 video for pokerstrategy for example :p). I don't really know how though :f_p:
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      huh, I hadn't thought of that. I sort of figured that I tilt when I'm not sure I beat a level (thus I can't be sure it's only variance, and that tilts me), but that might explain it in this case.
      thanks!
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      In other news, it's so hot here that we took the sofa outside..

This isn't exactly how I imagined winter in Jackson Hole, but hey.. life is goot ^^
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      and, as usual, you're still not skiing ^ :)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Update time!

Hands played so far: 21.8k
      Profit: -549$

This runbad is getting to me. I've gotten two 14BI downswings in a row, and my motivation is pretty low at the moment. I didn't feel tilted today though, so that's a small victory :) I do however feel like I really misplayed some hands, so I'll go through my last 2 or 3 sessions and see if I find any bad plays.

Now, for the good news! Back in November, my party account was closed due to a ..misunderstanding -- along with the 2650$ I had on there, and 1800$ in bonuses. The other day, I thought I'd send them an email asking them to reopen it (along with all the money, VIP level and bonuses). I didn't exactly have high hopes about it, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Long story short, this beauty showed up in my inbox this morning:
      Dear Craig,
      I am glad to inform you that we have started the procedure of reopening your account. I have reinstated your points balance so you now have 3,014.62 points and also the amount of 1,947.47 EUR will be available for you to take on our tables once you can access the account. Also your VIP status will be reinstated later on today so you will be able to take full advantage of the benefits your Palladium Level offers.
      BOOYAH :s_biggrin:

I'm not 100% sure they're restoring my bonus yet, since I'm still waiting on the VIP upgrade, but this is definitely a step in the right direction :f_grin:
      So basically, once all that is cleared up, I'll most likely move to NL100 for a while -- and if that goes well, I already have the bankroll for NL200 shots, so with any luck I'll be back up there much sooner than expected :)

While I was on the PP site, I also noticed this: Online Cash Game Championships.

It's some kind of cash game tournament: basically, you have 5 days to play at least 400 hands in one day at NL100 (and you can play several days if you didn't do well the first time). Among all the players who opted in, the 30% who have the best winrate (over 400 hands, that is) move on to the next level.
      This basically goes on till NL400, and each time you pass a level, you get some prize money.
      It really gets interesting from NL400 though. There, it's 50 players, who play for the top 18 spots: those ones move on to NL1k, and get 3000$ prize money (1500 for the NL1k table, the rest to keep). The final six players then play the final at NL5000 (and get 10k for moving up), where the top 3 spots are paid 40k, 20k and 10k. Plus the 2 last levels are rake-free.

This looks like an awesome event, I really like the idea. And hopefully I can get past the first round ^^
      Anyone else interested in taking part?
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hey there!

I'm currently also donking around on NL50FR and just started NL25SH to finally make the transition to short-handed games. I've been running real bad this month and even though I almost recovered from my doom-switched 2 days 15 stacks under all-in EV start to the month, I'm constantly running bad in my all-ins.

I had exactly the same problem as you: I wasn't playing my A game ever because I was running bad, and more often than I liked, I also tilted hard. I found that the reason was that I was putting way too much pressure on myself to beat the limit and move on.

It's kinda similar to what was suggested earlier: I thought I should crush the limit easily due to earlier results, so every time a bad beat hit me, I felt like I was being held back unfairly.

I finally got over it when I played a live tournament yesterday with only 15 EUR buy-in. Obviously, I didn't play to hit the jackpot ^^, but for fun and to improve my live game. In my opinion, I played that day perfectly and I was early chip leader. I subsequently lost 6 all-ins in a row where I was big favourite every time, but having made great plays and reads all along, I still walked out of the tournament area in a great mood.

I guess this helped me realize (again) that it feels great to play good even if you keep losing and that I should focus on that instead of the winnings to feel good about my game. After all, you can only influence the latter to some extent while having absolute control as far as your game is concerned.

Not sure if this helps you, but I sure hope it does ;) .

Good luck and best of cards.
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      resurrection time!
      I didn't want to post before my party account situation was clear again (they actually re-closed it telling me to reopen a new account, but I'm still awaiting confirmation that my money will be transfered over), but it's been a couple weeks, so I figured I'd post anyways.

Anyhoo, current standing:

Hands played so far: 36.3k
      Profit: +1000.13$

It may be an understatement to say that I've recovered from the downswings :f_biggrin:

I've been playing almost exclusively NL50eur on ipoker these past two weeks. It still feels like NL50$, both with money and level of play, but it's obviously slightly higher stakes, so I won't feel too bad if I don't reach my 75k hand goal by April 15th. I do hope I can continue to avoid another big downswing though, cause I'm still very far from my expected/hoped 4k+ profit :) .

btw, thanks for the kind words awish, I hope I can get over tilt as easily as you did :)

Off-topic: I just discovered Braid the other day, a very interesting platform/puzzle game with the gameplay based on time manipulation -- e.g, if you die, you just press shift and go back; you can warp time, or even see multiple realities depending on the levels. Much fun! Unfortunately it only took me a day to finish it, but I can definitely recommend it.

Now that I'm done with that and Myst, I'm out of challenging games :( Any suggestions?

Anyhoo, that's all for now. I'll update again to whine about my unavoidable future downswing. Laters!
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Congratulations on your upswing!

And may I know what is "misunderstanding", what is the reason of blocking account? :s_confused:
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Thanks!
      Well, I had opened it underage (looong time ago). I was well over 18 by the time I got my first ID check 5 months ago, but they still decided to close it.
      What I don't quite understand though, is that they reopened it after I asked them to (I even reminded them why it was closed in the first place), but closed it again when I sent in my ID a second time. So as usual, party support is a little weird, but hopefully it'll work out...
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      [CENTER]Hands played so far: 40.5k
      Profit: +1478.23$
      +~700$ in bonuses

WHEEEEEEE
      [/center]

This is insane. Every time I'm all-in with the best hand, I think "well, this time he has to win, I've been running better than Stephen Hawking uphill, or something like that.", but every time I just win massive pots, flop a ridiculous amount of sets, and win more. I could get used to this ^^
      Actually, earlier I played a short session, and lost a few hands for a change (like set vs TPTK all-in on flop), and I just laughed about it (yay!). Hopefully I can keep that up, for the hard times that'll come, and not lose too much due to tilt.

On the other hand, a not-so-great piece of news is that I took a couple NL100$ shots -- which didn't go too great, but that doesn't really matter -- and I had trouble having 6 good tables open at a time! It's insane how many regs there are on ipoker... I'm particularly amazed at the difference between NL50eur and 100$; I expected the player pool to be pretty similar, given that the stakes are quite close, but obviously I was wrong.
      I wonder if NL100eur is fishier, but I'd rather not double the stakes quite yet, since that's just a tad outside of my comfort zone.
      Actually, as it is, it's a lot more profitable for me to play NL50eur than 100$, since I can find so many fishy tables and put in more hands, with less effort. In other words, I get to play easy poker, with less variance, for more $$ :f_grin:

Imo, one of the reasons I'm doing so well is that I've been listening to the Cat Empire over and over -- see (listen) for yourselves:
      [CENTER]

Needless to say I'm always in a great mood, smiling and laughing when I play. Magic music!
      [/center]

On the topic of random poker-related things, there's a thread in NVG dedicated to photoshopping of comics which is absolutely brilliant. Check it out! This one is one of my favourites, by Eponymous:

And, since Opal asked nicely, here's a picture of Jackson -- or rather, Snow King, the tiny ski resort above the town.

(That's the view from our place, btw)
      It actually closed a week or so ago, but it snowed quite a lot after that, so I made the most of it and skinned up the other day, to find some great powder at the top :)
      And I must say, a short workout is the best way to start the day! I felt great, energetic all day, but tired enough to get to sleep at a reasonable time. Two summers ago, when I did a month of serious grinding, I would get up each day and cycle 10mins to a small lake near where I live, swim across and back, then start grinding when I got home. Just enough sport not to be exhausted, but enough to take on a long day of grinding.
      Seeing as I'm planning 3 months of full-time poker when I get home, I'd really like to be disciplined enough to do that again. Slight problem is, I don't like sports just for the workout -- e.g, I like swimming, but only in the lake, not indoors. I like to run when I'm hiking in the mountains, but I find jogging really boring otherwise. I like biking, but not on long, flat roads.
      Seems like I'll have to find something to keep me interested and active for 3 months.. gl me :f_biggrin:

Anyway, enough babbling. It's getting late, and I still have half a movie to watch, and I'm getting up at 9am tomorrow to grind. See ya!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Bulldozerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :f_cool: