Linking Moneybookers to Canadian Bank Account

• SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      In Canada we use a SWIFT code not the IBAN. I'm not sure how to type in my bank account number at the Moneybookers site. In Canada, I'm used to having one box to type in my bank number, another for the transit/branch number, and another for the account number - Moneybookers only gives a single box to type in the banking info. What format do I use to do this?
  • 10 replies
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      2 things

IBAN = International Bank Account Number

So you have one anywhere you are in the world :) just ask your bank.

second I dont think you can have a moneybooker account in canada but i am not totally sure
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      IBAN is an international number but mainly used in Europe.

You should contact Moneybookers which number you should type in.

As far as I know Moneybookers supports Canada as well, so there should be no problem.

Best regards,
      Hanens
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      so basically you are saying I talk a lot of crap :) lol

so I stand corrected ;)
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by thazar
      :f_biggrin:

Sometimes things are not so easy. ;)

For Canada and IBAN I found the following:

Canadian financial institutions have not adopted IBAN and use bank transit numbers issued by the Canadian Payments Association for transferring funds within Canada and SWIFT for international transfers. There is no formal governmental or private sector regulatory requirement in Canada for the major banks to use IBAN.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HannesZ
      Originally posted by thazar
      :f_biggrin:

Sometimes things are not so easy. ;)

For Canada and IBAN I found the following:

Canadian financial institutions have not adopted IBAN and use bank transit numbers issued by the Canadian Payments Association for transferring funds within Canada and SWIFT for international transfers. There is no formal governmental or private sector regulatory requirement in Canada for the major banks to use IBAN.
      thank you for making it official that I do talk crap :f_biggrin:

and for providing clrar and researched info (unlike me having a wild guess)
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      I was able to use Bank of Montreal's SWIFT code and have never had any problems.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      OK thanks for that. I already thought that it will work with SWIFT.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      Does anyone know what kind of fees are incurred on the bank end? I know there's a $2.51 fee from moneybookers. I did a test transfer of 25USD to my Canadian bank account (Coast Capital) and it shows up as only 21.78. That means I'm getting dinged over 3$ even with the exchange rate.

I'm going to be doing a transfer for a few k but I want to figure out if the fee is based on the transaction or the amount being transferred.
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      It would depend on which bank you're using. Check with you bank and ask what sort of fees would be incurred transferring from moneybookers.
    • woopstash
      woopstash
      Bronze
      I contacted my bank and they don't charge anything. They say any charges would come from intermediary institutions. I've emailed Moneybookers so hopefully they'll have more information for me as to what intermediary institutions are being used. Might be better just to have a cheque cut.